If you are searching to build the ultimate all-in-one entertainment center, there is no best option than Kodi. In fact, it is practically heaven-sent for conveniently housing all types of content, including music, movies, and games. Unfortunately, numerous Kodi users run into all kinds of issues like blocked applications and content, geo-restrictions, privacy issues, and more.
What is the best way to overcome these issues? You need to install a virtual private network on Kodi. In this blog, TechNinjaPro has everything you need to know about setting up and using a virtual private network on Kodi.
What is Kodi?
Kodi is one of the most trendy media players in the market. Kodi is a home media center software that allows you to watch movies, listen to music, play games, and organize photos. Unlike other similar platforms like Chromecast, or Apple TV, Kodi is completely free and open-source. Kodi is an open-source software which you can access an unbelievable collection of series and movies. You can change any interface element, including predefined themes and customized backgrounds, to form your own personalized viewing experience.
Kodi’s active community of users makes it the home media platform of choice for power users. You can take your Kodi experience to the next level by using a virtual private network to watch Kodi with security, privacy, and speed.
A Short guide on how to add VPN on Kodi
Virtual private network services might sound threatening and too technical to mess with. In truth, it is a piece of cake t set up a virtual private network on Kodi. Here is what you want to do:
- Select a virtual private network service and download its application on the device you will be using to stream Kodi.
- Open the VPN app and fill in your login details.
- Click on the server you need and then connect it.
- Launch Kodi, and you can stream at ease.
Why should you use Virtual Private Network for Kodi?
There are different reasons why you should use a virtual private network, especially for Kodi. Let’s have a look at the major reasons:
- Bypass geo-restriction: Some content is unavailable in certain countries because of copyright, blackouts, or censorship policies. With a virtual private network on Kodi, you will not be limited by these policies and restrictions. In the meantime, certain streaming platforms such as Netflix have region-specific content.
- Prevents tracking: Many ISPs are known to track internet browsing activities and retain data. A virtual private network will help cover your internet activities. Plus, it stops your internet service providers from potentially throttling your internet connection.
- Protect against hacking: With a virtual private network, you are less vulnerable online. Since your browsing activity, IP address, and internet identity are encrypted, you are far more secured against cyberattacks, hacking, and data theft.
How to set up Kodi and VPN on different devices?
Setting up Kodi and installing a virtual private network is not exactly rocket science. Let’s look at a step-by-step guide on installing Kodi and VPN on the most popular devices.
Kodi on computer
Installing a Kodi with a virtual private network on your computer is easy.
- Go to Kodi’s site and click download.
- Choose your preferred platform.
- Download the installer.
- Run the application and follow the prompts.
- Download a quality virtual private network.
- Launch the virtual private network and choose your preferred server.
Kodi on phone
To install Kodi on the phone, you need to download the Kodi application from the app store. However, things are a bit complicated if you have an iOS device like an iPad and iPhone.
- You need a jailbroken iDevice running iOS6.0 or higher.
- Install Kodi from iFile, Filza, or Cydia.
- Follow the instructions.
- Download a virtual private network
- Choose a suitable server.
Kodi on Smart TV
Smart TVs use the proprietary operating system, which is generally incompatible with Kodi. However, if your TV has a Google Play Store, you can install Kodi from it.
- Install Kodi from Google Play Store.
- Find Kodi in your application menu.
- Launch Kodi.
- Install a VPN service on your device or router depending on whether your television supports a VPN.
How to select a VPN for Kodi?
Not all VPNs are similar or even supportive. That is why TechNinjaPro has listed all the main virtual private network features that you should look out for if you need to use it with Kodi. Here are some of the most important features:
- Servers: Content is the backbone of video streaming platforms. Unfortunately, many addons like ESPN, Hulu, and BBC iPlayer have geo-restrictions in place. To bypass these limitations, you will need a virtual private network to cover your location. In any case, if a virtual private network has vast server locations all over the world. That would be extremely helpful. This is because you can simply opt for a server in a region without any limitations whenever required.
- Supported devices: If you be liable to consume your content on the go, ensures that a virtual private network supports your tablet, gaming console, and mobile phone. It is also a perfect idea to opt for a virtual private network that allows logins on various devices simultaneously.
- Security: Be Confident to take a closer look at the virtual private network’s encryption protocol, no-logging policy ad anonymity policy for safe internet browsing.