ExpressVPN is the most excellent virtual private network for Netflix as it unblocks more than 19 libraries of different regions and countries. Netflix is the leading streaming platform in the streaming world, and its American library is the hottest one out there! But to access that, you will need a leading virtual private network like ExpressVPN that will help you stream all the geo-restricted libraries. It can unblock multiple regional libraries simply with the click of a button. ExpressVPN is the most reliable and fastest VPN service out there in the market.
ExpressVPN works perfectly whether you need to access US Netflix or any other region where the service is available. Among the rare names that work exceptionally well, bypassing all the Netflix blocks and responding immediately to queries. Every so often, you will find users of different virtual private networks post their connection and troubleshooting issues either through social media or the official website of the VPN providers.
One such issue is when ExpressVPN would not work with Netflix, but this is just among the many because virtual private network connections are affected by various factors that impact speed or accessibility. You may get the most common connection error message when accessing websites such as Hulu, Amazon Prime, Netflix, or even BBC iPlayer. This blog is for users who are getting an ExpressVPN Netflix error or, instead, ExpressVPN would not work with Netflix, so try some of the solutions listed below and see if it helps you or not.
Why is ExpressVPN not working with Netflix?
ExpressVPN is not working with Netflix because your real IP address somehow shows up to Netflix. If it does not track your real IP location, it guesses that you are using a proxy, VPN, or anything like that to mask your IP address. Since Netflix never supports any ways to bypass its content censorships, it often bans all such attempts. While the service may restrict a user from breaching these terms, it does not that frequently.
However, Netflix simply blocks the IP addresses that it suspects belonging to a VPN service or proxy. Even though, ExpressVPN has strong stealth measures in place to avoid such detections. However, minor negligence by the user may leak the IP address to Netflix, thus rendering ExpressVPN useless. You can always revert this blocking by correcting the problem area. Once you rectify the issue and re-establish your virtual private network connection, you can continue streaming your favorite show or movie.
How to Fix if ExpressVPN is not Working with Netflix?
In this blog, TechNinjaPro will show you what to do if ExpressVPN is not working with Netflix.
1. Check your IP address
If ExpressVPN would not work with Netflix, check your IP address for information such as your region next to the location you had chosen when you connected with ExpressVPN. If it shows a position near you, it means you are not connected to an ExpressVPN server location, so try connecting again.
2. Check your Internet Connection
Basically, ExpressVPN is not an ordinary service to show glitches. Therefore, check your internet connection first to make sure that the issue is not at your end. To test if you have an active connection, disconnect from ExpressVPN, then try accessing a site the natural way. If you cannot access even when disconnected from the virtual private network, check your internet connection. So the faster you check and reconnect your internet connection, the quicker you can resume streaming.
However, try the next solution if you can access it when disconnected from the virtual private network.
3. Clear browsing history and cache
Since streaming sites like Netflix apply violent tracking, they can quickly know you are masking your location via the cache. Particularly, your internet activities outside the VPN tunnel usually provide Netflix a hint of your real IP. So, if your internet connection is connected, your IP is fine. Still, you find that ExpressVPN is not working with Netflix, try clearing the cache and cookies. Then reconnect your virtual private network client so that Netflix should now detect the ExpressVPN location only.
If that does not work, you may have to clear your browsing history as well. This will completely fix the glitch.
4. Try connecting to another ExpressVPN server
If your internet and virtual private network connectivity is OK and has nothing like the browsing history or cache to clear, then the problem might be with the VPN server. But, it is not unusual for a VPN server to go down temporarily for various reasons. Thus, instead of struggling with it, just switch your VPN server. As a first-class user, you will have the liberty to try another server from the same location, or you can connect to a different location from the same country if your requirements are not city-specific. Here is how you can switch to another ExpressVPN server:
- Open your VPN, and you will see the VPN connection status together with the server name.
- Find the select location option to reach the list of servers available to you.
- Choose an appropriate server location. For example, if you need to access the Netflix USA library, then select a USA server.
- Tick on the “ON” button to establish your VPN connection.
If you are not confident which server to connect to, you can visit the “Recommended” tab to see the list of available servers best for you. Whereas, under the “Favorites” menu, you will see the locations you last connected to or the ones you mark as favorite.
You can always switch back to your last location via the “Smart Location” feature whenever you decide to end the current connection.
5. Change the VPN Protocol
If you still find that ExpressVPN is not working with Netflix despite switching servers, the following solution is to go a bit techie. You do not have to go through hard configurations. All you should do at this point is to change the VPN protocols. If you want to know more about it in detail, check out TechNinjaPro’s comprehensive blog on VPN protocols. Here is how to change VPN protocol. Make sure to disconnect the VPN before applying these steps.
- Open your VPN application and tick on the menu icon.
- Tick on Options
- Tick on the protocol tab to reach the significant settings. Your application would likely show the recommended setting as the selected one. In most cases, this is on the default setting that has the OpenVPN protocol behind it. So, select a protocol different from this one. For example, you can select TCP-OpenVPN, which is the next best protocol.
- Now tick on the OK button to save the settings.
- Go back to the home screen of the VPN and reconnect your virtual private network. It should now work perfectly with Netflix.
However, you are completely free to choose any VPN protocol at this stage. Yet, try not to choose PPTP since it provides the least security.
6. Update your ExpressVPN application
Continuing with ExpressVPN troubleshooting, updating your VPN is an important part. Running an older version may cause your VPN connection to create glitches. Thus, updating your ExpressVPN application is the next best step to fix connection problems to resume safe Netflix streaming. Depending on how you have installed and set up your VPN connection, you can try uninstalling the VPN application from your system and reinstalling it.
- If you are using Windows 10, here is how you should proceed.
- Go to the Settings > Apps > Apps & features.
- Scroll down to find your VPN in the list of installed apps.
- Choose the ExpressVPN application and tick Uninstall.
- To remove the application via network connections, go to the setting > Network & internet > change adapter options. You will see the list of the network connection on your system.
- Click on the WAN Miniport that mentions ExpressVPN and tick on delete.
- If you have set up the virtual private network via the Windows 10 built-in VPN setting, go to settings > Network & Internet > virtual private network. Find ExpressVPN and tick on delete.
After you have uninstalled ExpressVPN, head to the VPN’s official site to download the latest version. Log into the newly installed VPN application using your ExpressVPN account credentials and re-establish your VPN connection. It should now work with Netflix.
7. Turn off your firewall
Sometimes, your device’s firewall and other security software may interfere with your virtual private network. When that happens, you either get the normal ExpressVPN Netflix error or find Netflix not letting you through. So after you have tried all the steps mentioned above, head on to disable your security solution.
- Make your security program recognize ExpressVPN. For that, uninstall the virtual private network, then uninstall your security program. Then reinstall the virtual private network followed by your security solution.
- If the above sounds uninteresting, identify and re-configure the program conflicting with your virtual private network. You may have to change the security level for that.
8. Flush the DNS
While the domain name server records in the cache, let your system fetch results swiftly from frequently requested hostnames. However, these DNS entries may disagree with your VPN’s DNS, thus causing it to stop working with Netflix.
- Tick on the Start button and type cmd in the run command.
- This will open the command prompt window.
- Type ipconfig/flushdns in the cmd and push enter.
- You will see the note “successfully flushed the DNS cache.” Close the command prompt window.
- Restart your VPN connection and Modem.
9. Perform manual proxy configuration
While a proxy server allows you to bypass internet blocking and hides your IP, however, a set proxy may conflict with your VPN settings. Thus, you find that ExpressVPN is not working with Netflix. Hence, configuring the proxy settings manually can serve as the ultimate ExpressVPN Netflix issue workaround.
- Go to the Settings > Network & Internet > Proxy.
- Toggle on the Automatically detect settings option.
You have to perform a similar setting in your browser. For this, open your internet browser and go to the menu. In the features named Tools or Options, you will find Network settings to adjust the proxy settings to automatic detection.
10. Contact ExpressVPN support
The best thing about ExpressVPN is its 24/7 customer support. You can always contact them via their live chat feature and share your problem whenever you need. In most cases, the support representative will resolve your virtual private network issues right away.
So, if none of the above solutions help you, simply contact ExpressVPN support to seek help. They will certainly resolve your issue.
11. Configure DNS Settings Manually
If flushing Domain Name Server does not solve your issue, the problem might be with your network settings. Often, it happens that your system’s DNS setting does not allow the VPN’s DNS override, and in turn, this renders your internet non-functional.
To solve this issue, you need to manually configure your network settings to accept the Expressvpn DNS.
- Go to Setting > Network & Internet > Network and Sharing Center.
- Tick on your Internet Connection.
- On the Window, tick on the Properties button.
- Now pick the TCP/IPv4 (Internet Protocol Version 4) and tick properties. You can also double tick on the Internet Protocol Version 4 option to open the properties window. “Use the following DNS server addresses” setting.
- Enter a public DNS address such as Google DNS. You can type 220.127.116.11 in front of “Preferred DNS Server” and set 18.104.22.168 as your alternative DNS server.
- Tick OK to save your system settings.
If Google DNS does not work perfectly for you, you can use other public DNS, such as OpenDNS, Cloudflare, or Comodo. Once this process is done, it is time to adjust the DNS settings in your virtual private network app.
- Open your ExpressVPN app.
- Tick on the Menu button and go to Options.
- Navigate to the Advanced tab.
- Uncheck the “Only use ExpressVPN DNS servers while connected to the virtual private network” setting and tick OK.
After adjusting DNS settings, flush your DNS again to have a new start. You should face no issue in accessing Netflix via ExpressVPN.
Why use ExpressVPN for Netflix for Online Streaming?
Wondering why you should use ExpressVPN for online streaming anyway if it exhibits glitches?
Well, let’s explain that it does not develop problems frequently. In fact, compared with other VPN services, ExpressVPN is the only provider that insolently unblocks Netflix for all users internationally.
Plus, the other feature provided with this VPN also makes it the best among all others. While TechNinjaPro has discussed this virtual private network in detail in its ExpressVPN review.
|Locations||165 location in more than 90 countries|
|Data-logging||Strict no-log policy|
|Customer Support||24/7 customer support|
|Security||AES 256-bit military-grade encryption|
|Streaming platforms||Netflix, HBO, and many more|
Thus, it becomes the best VPN service to stream your favorite movie or show anytime, anywhere.
Best ExpressVPN Alternatives
ExpressVPN is one of the powerful VPN providers with a vast network of servers all over the world. If you are looking for a strong list of ExpressVPN alternatives, you have undoubtedly reached the right place. TechNinjaPro has rounded up its top recommendations below:
Frequently Asked Questions
Netflix does not want its consumers to stream shows and films in regions where it is not licensed to distribute them. To stop this from happening, Netflix keeps an eye out for connections with DNS server location mismatches and IP addresses that are known to belong to the virtual private network.
You can bypass a VPN block by switching servers or going to a different virtual private network provider. The organization blocking your access may have focused on only the more popular VPN services when selecting what to block, so you may be able to gain access using a less popular service.
Yes, investing in a virtual private network is worth it, especially if you value online privacy and encryption while surfing the internet. Virtual private networks conceal an IP to take actions on the internet almost untraceable.
ExpressVPN is one of the best VPN services for Netflix. It provides incredibly reliable servers that can access Netflix in different regions.
It is currently one of the leading services in the VPN market. However, like other apps, it may occasionally develop glitches that interrupt online streaming sites. Plus, given the reputation of this VPN, services like Netflix also employ harsh practices to block them, thus compelling you to look up dedicated ExpressVPN Netflix fix tips mentioned-above.