It’s not the first time Disney Plus is not working on Roku. The problem can arise as per small insignificant issues which can be removed easily and without giving you a headache.
Disney Plus app is comparatively new on Roku in comparison to its competitors like Netflix app, Amazon Prime Video app, or BBC iPlayer application. Disney Plus not working on Roku can be frustrating? It can infuriate a user as it’s not a free service, you are actually paying for it.
The issues can be caused by corrupted files or problematic servers. Here’s are some quick fixes which you can apply to ensure that your Disney Plus app starts working on your Roku devices.
Roku & Disney Plus
Disney Plus application was launched back in November 2019. Since then, it has been going neck and neck with Netflix and other streaming services online. The streaming giant has given access to the entire library which Disney holds (including cartoons) to its subscribers and paid audience.
As per the fame which Roku has gained, Disney Plus was made available on most Roku devices since day one of its initial launch. You can watch Disney Plus on Roku platforms like Roku Ultra, Roku Streaming Stick+, and Roku Premiere.
The devices which do not support Disney Plus currently, includes:
- Roku 2 XS model 3100X
- Roku HD model 2500X
- Roku LT model 2400X and 2450X
- Roku 2 HD models 3000X and 3050X
- Roku Streaming Stick models 3400X and 3420X
To check the model or type of your Roku device:
- Go to Home screen of your Roku.
- Navigate to Settings.
- Click on System.
- Go to the About section.
There, you’ll see the model number of your Roku device. Compare it with the supported Roku devices list by Disney Plus and see whether your Roku device is optimized to handle the Disney Plus app.
Best VPN for Disney Plus Roku
Streaming websites like Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and Amazon Prime Video, the content is displaced and distributed according to their region. For instance, the content licensed for the audience of the USA cannot be accessed by the subscribers in the UK.
Disney Plus has its content displaced the same way. This type of content which cannot be accessed as per geo-restrictions is termed as ‘region-locked content.’ Now, to access this region-locked content easily, the tech of VPN is there to help you.
VPN or Virtual Private Network assists you in unblocking streaming services like Disney Plus by connecting you to a server placed in a location of your choice. For example, if you are in India and want to watch a show exclusive to a US-based audience, VPN will connect you to a server located in the USA, and make it appear to Disney Plus as if your internet traffic is coming from that country. Also, it encrypts your internet traffic to hide your identity.
Here are some of the best VPNs for Disney Plus.
How to Fix Disney Plus Not Working on Roku?
If your Disney Plus is not working on Roku, you can apply the following detailed solutions to resolve this issue.
1. Removing & Adding Disney Plus Channel
The first method is to reinstall the Disney Plus application on your device. If your device is filled with corrupted Disney Plus files, reinstalling the application will eliminate all the malfunctioning files from your system. Also, you will get the latest version of the Disney Plus application on Roku.
To remove and add the Disney Plus channel on Roku, perform the following steps:
- Navigate to the Home screen of your Roku device by pressing the Home button on your remote.
- Choose the option of Streaming Channels.
- Locate Disney Plus from the list of streaming channels and press the OK button on your remote to select it.
- Find the option of Remove Channel and uninstall the application from your Roku.
- Once the app has been uninstalled, go to the Roku store.
- Search for Disney Plus and reinstall the latest version of the Disney Plus app from there.
2. Reboot Roku Device
Roku is still technology and has flaws in it. Sometimes your Roku operating system encounters a temporary bug that causes the device to not work properly. To resolve the issue, you need to reload your Roku resources by restarting your Roku device.
Perform the following steps:
- Open your Roku device and navigate to Settings.
- From there go to the System tab and select it.
- Select System Restart and your Roku device will reboot.
To restart Roku TV, you can apply the following steps:
- Go to the Settings page and navigate to System.
- Locate the Power tab and select it.
- Click on System Restart.
Once your Roku device has restarted, open your Disney Plus application and see if it is working seamlessly.
3. Update your Roku
Developer at Roku or any other platform releases patches and updates regularly. Whenever updates are launched, several errors may occur and causes malfunctioning.
Follow the below-mentioned steps to update your Roku:
- Go to the Settings tab in your Roku device.
- Navigate to System, and select the option of Software Update.
- Locate the Check Now button and follow the steps afterwards to update your Roku device.
Once the device has been updated, check if your Disney Plus is working or not. If not, then move on to the next step.
4. Update Disney Plus App
If your automatic updates are not enabled on Roku, maybe there is an underlying issue in your Disney+ app related to subtitles or closed captions. To resolve the issue, update the app by performing the following lined up steps:
- Open Google Play Store via your device and press the Menu button in your search bar.
- Go to the My Apps & Games tab and check for the installed apps that require updates.
- Locate Disney Plus and click the Update button.
- Open App Store and tap on your Profile.
- Locate the Disney Plus app from the list and press the Update button.
- Go to the Main Screen and move to the Disney Plus app using your controller.
- From your controller press the Options button to open the side menu of Disney Plus.
- Locate and select the Check for Updates by pressing the O or X button on your controller.
5. Reboot Router
You might be facing some issues related to your network. Disney Plus states that they require a minimum of 5Mbps to watch in HD, and 15Mbps to watch videos/movies in 4K.
Firstly check your internet speed and see if it is running slow. If you are not receiving your required bandwidth, contact your ISP to upgrade your plan. However, if you already have a fast internet package plan and still experiencing slow internet speeds, then you might be a subject of ISP throttling.
Other than that, what you can do is restart your router. Restarting your router will help you re-establish the connection between your local ISP’s (internet service provider) servers. Once you have restarted your router, check if your Disney Plus has started to work efficiently.
If your network is still acting up, contact your ISP and ask them to address the issue.
6. Re-Login into Disney Plus
Your data is stored at the backend of every app (where your logs are kept). In every software application, errors may arise based on that stored data because of some temporary bug or a glitch at the backend.
To fix this issue, you can try to log out of your current session and re-login to refresh your account’s data. Perform the following steps:
- Go to your Disney Plus application on Roku.
- Navigate to Settings (located in the side menu).
- Select the Log Out option and press OK afterwards.
- Wait 10 minutes before your re-login into your Disney Plus Roku account.
7. Use your TV Directly
You can try using your TV directly. If you usually have your Roku plugged into an external A/V system, you can plug Roku straight into your TV instead. Afterwards, try Disney Plus again and see if it works again.
8. Reset Roku to Factory Settings
An error may arise because of faulty settings in your Roku device. Perform a complete factory reset of your Roku device to set its settings to default and clear all types of data errors. Follow the steps below:
- Open Settings in your Roku device and navigate to the System tab.
- Go on to select the option of Factory Reset.
- Roku will show you the steps to reset your Roku device, follow the on-screen steps to set Roku to factory defaults.
- Once Roku is factory reset, reinstall Disney Plus and run it to see if it is working.
9. Clear Roku Cache
As you might be familiar with the concept of cache, it needs to be cleared from time to time to resolve memory & performance issues. To clear the cache of your Roku device, follow the steps below:
- Go to the Main Menu of your Roku device, and make sure that the Home tab is selected.
- Press the Home button from your remote five times.
- Press the Up button once, and then the Rewind button twice.
- Lastly, press the Fast Forward button twice.
Your Roku will start to clear the cache immediately and restart. Go to your Disney Plus app on Roku and see if your problem is resolved.
Another reason why your Roku might not be working on Roku is because of compatibility issues. Roku has an entire lineup of products out of which several models do not support the Disney Plus app.
Go to the official Disney Plus help centre, and see if your Roku device can support the Disney Plus application.
11. Disney Plus and Roku Servers
Check the server’s status of Disney Plus via tools like Downdetector. Disney Plus works on the cloud and is an online platform. All of the traffic from the entire globe is handled by various servers set in place by the Disney Plus team. If a server (which is dedicated to your region) is down, you can check the status of the application via some third party tool.
Also, check the status of the Roku server to ensure that there is no problem with their servers. In case there is a problem with the company’s servers, the only solution is to be patient and wait until the server is up and running again.
12. Problem with a Particular Show
In case your Disney Plus is not playing your favourite TV show or movie, go on to select another show from the library and play it. If you face the same issue with that random TV Show or movie, then the problem is global and your entire platform is affected.
However, if other videos are playing just fine, then you can contact Disney Plus and make them aware of the problem.
13. Customer Support
If all the above-mentioned solutions do not work out, don’t waste any more time and contact the Disney Plus help centre directly.
Contact their support team and ask them for help with the subject heading ‘Disney Plus Not Working Roku’. Inform and provide them with the following details:
- Your account information.
- The type/model of the Roku device you are using.
- The shows which you are trying to watch.
- A small brief on what your issue is all about.
Other than that, you can use their detailed guides to find possible solutions to your problem.