There are several reasons why a gamer might integrate their gaming consoles like PS4 or PS5 with tech like Virtual Private Network or VPN, some of the significant reasons are as follow:
- Safety from DDoS attacks.
- Anonymity on Public Wi-Fi.
- Avoidance from ISP throttling.
- Unlock geo-restricted games/content.
- Playing banned games in your region.
- Bypassing firewalls and IP bans.
- Connecting with routers directly.
- Protecting from Swatting.
- Connect with servers all over the globe.
- Shop in PlayStation Stores in various regions.
- Pairing up with players.
- Reduction in ping and lag timings.
- And more.
A gamer might not just go for the usage of VPN technology as per the aspects mentioned above. Still, a user might use a VPN to encrypt their online security, anonymity over the internet, protection of one’s data, and prevent all types of spying.
Here’s a simple guide on how one can use VPN in PS4 or PS5.
Wi-Fi Router VPN Setup for PS4
It might seem a bit daunting when it comes to setting up a VPN on your Wi-Fi router for your PS4 or PS5; however, it is the most accessible pathway that you can take or adopt to solve your PS4 VPN needs.
Once you set up a VPN on your router, all traffic coming through your router will automatically get encrypted. If you don’t want to run Ethernet cables, you can use this method as it is the most straightforward route.
1. Look for the best VPN service
Initially, you need to identify and choose the right VPN service to meet your needs. When you are deciding on the best PS4 VPN, you need to take the following features into account and look for VPNs that provide those types of services:
- Offer low ping times.
- Unblock all kinds of restricted content.
- Offer great speeds.
- Has a robust build.
- Features that are functional for privacy & security.
- Has a wide variety of applications.
To eliminate the hassle, we have already devised a list, so you don’t have to perform any manual labour in choosing the best VPN service.
Check out our guide for the Best Gaming VPNs.
2. Router Settings
Now you need to set up your router settings. To make changes, you need to log in first by entering the IP address in your browser. The login credentials are primarily generic, like “admin” for both the username and password portions. If that does not work, then you can consult your router’s manual for accurate login information.
You can also go to your router’s login page (if you are not aware of your IP address) by opening your Command Prompt. You can open it by using shortcuts like ‘Windows Key + R’ and typing ‘cmd. Press ‘Enter’ afterwards.
Once your Command Prompt is open, you can type ‘ipconfig’ and hit ‘Enter.’ Navigate to ‘network adapter’ and look under ‘Default Gateway.’ You will find the IP address of your router there.
3. Configuration of VPN
Once you are successfully logged into your router after subscribing to a VPN service, you can now start configuring that VPN in your router.
The process of configuring a VPN on your router may vary depending upon your router brand and the type of VPN service you are using.
When manually configuring your VPN, you need a ‘configuration file’ from your VPN service provider. Just look in the support section of your selected VPN website, and most probably, you’ll find it there. Once you have that file, import it into your router’s control panel, and the service will turn on. Go to the ‘Advanced Setup’ tab and navigate to the ‘VPN Configuration’ screen; you’ll find the configuration options there.
You can also check: How to Install NordVPN on Routerfor more detail.
4. Connecting PS4 to your Wi-Fi Router
Once your VPN has been configured in your router successfully, test it. You can perform a simple test by checking your IP address. If your IP address has changed, then it means that your configured VPN is working perfectly.
Go to the ‘Settings’ portion of your PS4, and navigate to ‘Network’. Select the ‘Set up a Connection’ option and choose the ‘Easy’ method. You will have to go through several prompts and make sure to tick the ‘Do Not Use a Proxy’ box. In the end, verify your connection.
Computer VPN Setup for PS4
This is the second option you can opt for if your router is not compatible or allow VPN connections. Another success that you’ll get out of this method is that not all of your devices will use the VPN, which means that your other devices will not face speed issues.
If you set up your VPN on your computer, your computer will turn into a virtual router for your PS4. You can set it up on both Windows and Mac.
To get this connection set up, you’ll need:
- Extra Ethernet cable for connecting with your console.
- A computer connected to the internet.
1. Set Up VPN with Windows
Once you have installed your chosen VPN on your Windows, you can set up a VPN for your PS4. Follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Firstly plug your Ethernet cable into your computer and your gaming console, i.e., PS4 or PS5.
- Go to your Control Panel in your Windows.
- Locate Network and Internet, and then go to Network and Sharing Center.
- Look on the left of the window and click on Change Adapter Settings.
- You will find your VPN connection there. Right-click on it and choose properties. A new window will open.
- Go to Sharing tab, and check the box on “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection.”
- Click the drop-down option under Home networking connection. You will see an Ethernet option there; click on it.
- Once the above steps are done, go to your PS4 settings and navigate to Network Settings.
- From there, click on Set Up Internet Connection.
- Select ‘Use a LAN Cable’ option and then choose the ‘Easy Connection’ method.
- Once you are done with that, choose ‘Do no use a Proxy Server’.
- Your VPN connection will be established on your PS4.
If you are a macOS user, the following method is the one that is best suited for you.
2. Set Up VPN with MacOS
Again, to set up a VPN with MacOS for your PS4 or PS5 gaming needs, firstly install the VPN of your choice on your macOS and then perform the following steps:
- Firstly plug your Ethernet cable into MacOS and your PS4 or PS5.
- Open your macOS, and go to System Preferences.
- Click on Sharing and choose Internet Sharing.
- Locate the option of Share your connection from, and from the drop-down menu, go on to select Wi-Fi.
- On the ‘to computer using’ list, select the ‘Ethernet’ box and tick it.
- On the left, you’ll see a list of ‘Service.’ Select the ‘Internet Sharing’ box.
Once you are done with the above process, your VPN connection will be established with your PS4.