If you are familiar with virtual private network products, NordVPN needs no introduction. NordVPN has taken the market by storm, securing hundreds of millions of users. Even though NordVPN has excellent applications for common devices such as Mac, Android, iOS, and PC. NordVPN is one of the finest VPN services available in the VPN market.
But that is not going to be an issue if you set it up on a router. In this blog, TechNinjaPro will be discussing how to set up NordVPN on Router. By doing this, you can use NordVPN on more devices.
Can NordVPN Be Installed on a Router?
Yes, it can be installed onto a router, but compatibility will depend on the model and make of the router being used. NordVPN suggests Asus as the best make of router to use with its virtual private network service, as most routers support OpenVPN. OpenVPN is the main requirement for NordVPN to function when installing directly to a router.
Routers Supported by NordVPN
NordVPN supports Asus routers with stock firmware. Unluckily, NordVPN Linksys is not compatible. If you need to set up NordVPN on other routers, you will have to flash it with open-source firmware like DD-WRT or Tomato. Here are some Asus router models that it recommends:
- Asus RT-N18U
- Asus RT-AC66U
- Asus RT-AC68U
- Asus RT-AC87U
- Asus RT AC 3200
Best routers Using OpenVPN
If you need the best router that comes with built-in OpenVPN, then you may need to check out these router models:
- Asus: RT-AX86U, RT-AX88U (AC3100), RT-AC5300
- D-Link: DIR-885L, DIR-895L
- Linksys: EA8500, WRT1900ACS, WRT3200ACM
- Netgear: R7500, R7800, R8500, R9000
How to Setup NordVPN on Router
The Asus stock firmware is easy to navigate around the change settings. To install a NordVPN on Asus in a few minutes, follow the instructions listed below:
- Get a NordVPN subscription or go for free NordVPN with premium features for 30 days.
- Log in to your Asus router by using the appropriate URL in your internet browser.
- Enter your router username and password when prompted to do so.
- Tick on the VPN tab in the sidebar.
- Choose the VPN client tab and tick on add profile.
- Now select the OpenVPN tab and insert the following information
- Description: Provide a name to the connection as you like
- Username: Enter your NordVPN username
- Password: Enter your NordVPN password
- To import the .ovpn file, you need to download these files from NordVPN’s server utility. Select a server to find its configuration files and download them.
- After clicking on Select File in the dialog box, import these downloaded files and click Make sure the CA file or edit the .ovpn file manually is left unchecked.
- When the upload is done, click OK.
- Now click on WAN in the sidebar, choose no in the connect to DNS server automatically and enter the server addresses as DNS 1 and DNS2, respectively:
- Click on Apply.
- Go back to the VPN client page and click on Activate button to start NordVPN on your router.
- If the connection is winning, a blue tick will appear next to the connection status.
These installation steps will get NordVPN working on the router. Now you will never have to enable NordVPN before streaming Netflix. Setting up NordVPN on the router allows you to skip configuration NordVPN on complicated devices such as Linux.
Routers Not Compatible with NordVPN
The routers that are not compatible with NordVPN are mentioned below:
If you need to set up NordVPN on a router that includes one of these, you will have to flash the firmware and set up DD-WRT.
Why You Should Configure NordVPN on Router
There are many reasons why having NordVPN on your router can be pretty valuable. For one, it can be helpful if you are in a highly restricted country like where you cannot risk accidentally not being connected to a virtual private network. Let’s have a look at some of the reasons you should have to know:
- Stay Connected Always: You will always be connected to the virtual private network as you hook your devices to your router’s connection. This means you will never have to remember to turn on a virtual private network to start a secure browsing or streaming session.
- Fast Speeds: Since NordVPN has an excellent speed, you will experience speeds like never before for browsing or streaming if you configure it on your router.
- Stream without geo-restrictions: By configuring NordVPN on your router, you will get the freedom to bypass geo-restrictions without worrying about enabling your virtual private network every time you connect to the internet.
One-time setup: Setting a virtual private network on your router is only a one-time process. You will have to connect your devices to the home wifi to come under VPN protection automatically. This way, you can use NordVPN on gaming consoles and smart TVs.
- Work with multiple devices: All you need to provide a VPN-enabled connection to whatever device you need a VPN for is to turn on its wifi simply. Since NordVPN is installed on your router, your devices will automatically receive an internet connection integrated with the VPN. You can connect devices to your VPN connection as your router can support.
Installing a NordVPN on a router is simple if you have an Asus router. The installation process is lengthier with devices that need firmware flashing and extra setup steps. Routers with OpenVPN built-in are easy to set up with NordVPN.
NordVPN will help you cover your internet activity and hide your original IP address to another level. The advantage of installing NordVPN on your router instead of using an application allows all online activity going through the router to be encrypted. Your internet service provider and local authorities will be unable to track your internet activities using NordVPN.