Office 365 is a part of the Microsoft Office group of products and was first released in 2011. The major benefit of using Office 365 is accessing applications like Outlook without experiencing firewall blocks. Additionally, It works with cloud service, so you can access your data remotely without being tied down to your office space or home.
While this result brings many advantages, there are still concerns over safety and security dangers that come with using cloud services at scale. Use a VPN service to prop up the gap. In this blog, TechNinjaPro will discuss how to use Outlook & Microsoft 365 with a virtual private network and pick the exemplary VPN service.
- Why use a VPN for Outlook and Office 365?
- How to choose an excellent VPN service?
- Quick Guide – How to Use Microsoft 365 with a VPN?
- Tips for Avoiding Errors on Outlook and Microsoft 365 with a VPN
Why use a VPN for Outlook and Office 365?
- Privacy: Using Outlook or Office 365 comes with many benefits. However, there has been a clash over how safe and secure the cloud is for storing sensitive files and information. Rather than trusting Microsoft with your complete business information, selecting a virtual private network will protect all your data at a small price. Whether you are a reporter covering a sensitive case or an employee doing market research, a virtual private network with 256-bit military-grade encryption and a no-logging policy will ensure that no one, from hackers to your internet service provider, will be able to access your information.
- Accessing the cloud from another country: A virtual private network can be a lifesaver if you are located overseas and need to access your private information on Office365. Not only will it become the safest way to work remotely while traveling, but you will be able to access all your private information wherever you are located in the world. Additionally, you will be able to access private files and information such as bank account while bypassing geo-restrictions and keeping your data secure when you are not using Microsoft Office products.
- Bypassing Restrictions: One of the primary benefits of using a virtual private network service is bypassing geo-restrictions and firewall restrictions. If you are traveling for work, but your business files are restricted under your firm’s firewall, a virtual private network is there to solve all your problems. In addition, a virtual private network will allow you to access massive ranges of Netflix content and restricted pages from abroad. For example, if you are searching for accessing Facebook or Wikipedia from China, using a VPN service will allow you to do so without running into restrictions placed by the Great Firewall of China.
How to choose an excellent VPN service?
Using a VPN service to protect your connection while using Office365 and Outlook is a breeze, but finding the perfect VPN provider can prove to be a challenge. After all, the VPN market is crowded, and many providers claim to be the best. TechNinjaPro narrowed down the field using the following search criteria:
- No-logging Policy: A detailed no-logging policy will ensure that none of your information or private data is stored in your internet service providers’ or VPN providers’ system for interested third parties to find. This no-logging policy should cover as much information as possible, including IP addresses, timestamps, and internet history.
- Server Networks: The biggest the server network, the more connection you will have in terms of international IP addresses. This feature will allow you to bypass geo-restrictions and establish a fast and secure connection.
- Strong Encryption: You need a virtual private network that uses military-grade solid encryption like 256-bit AES. This level of information encryption will protect your information and identity from getting into the hands of ISPs, the government, and even hackers.
Quick Guide – How to Use Microsoft 365 with a VPN?
Always remember that various VPN services offer money-back guarantees for new users. That means you can test how Office 365 works with the VPN before committing to a more extended subscription.
- Sign up for a virtual private network service with a reputation for allowing easy access to Office 365.
- Sign up for a VPN subscription with a 30-day money-back guarantee to try risk-free VPN services.
- Download the VPN app to your system and launch.
- Use the smart location button to connect to the fastest server depending on your country or region.
- Launch Office 365 and go-to products like OneDrive.
- Browse through your private files as usual.
Tips for Avoiding Errors on Outlook and Microsoft 365 with a VPN
Depending on the reasons for the disconnection, you can try various solutions to get your Outlook mail client and other Office 365 products to work when using a virtual private network. Here are some of TechNinjaPro‘s top recommendations:
1. Check the VPN configuration settings
Sometimes, the default settings of a virtual private network could be configured in a way that stops internet connectivity. In fact, this keeps applications on your computer, for example, your Microsoft email client, from accessing the internet. You need to check your virtual private network settings to ensure the application is not blocking the connection to untrusted servers.
If it unchecked that particular setting, you could try to change the protocol you are using, then try to reaccess the Outlook application with the VPN connected.
2. Clear your Windows DNS cache
The cache software then stores information such as your IP addresses and search history. Outdated DNS caches can lead to internet connectivity issues and prevent access to internet-dependent programs such as Outlook.
To evade DNS-related technical errors, try clearing the cache. Follow the steps to remove your Windows DNS cache:
- Press the R and Windows keys altogether to open the authority prompt search bar.
- Type this on the explore bar: ipconfig/flushdns and push enter.
- Check for the message ” Effectively flushed the DNS resolver cache” to ensure that the command has cleared your DNS cache.
3. Allow split tunneling on the VPN connection
Split tunneling is a form of configuration that allows some online traffic to be directed through the virtual private network servers and the rest to go through the standard internet service provider server. This can go a long way in removing network jams that can slow down internet connectivity.
In particular, allowing split tunneling means that when you connect to the internet, the online traffic for some programs can bypass the virtual private network servers. This may stop those annoying errors that come up when using privacy apps with Outlook.
Microsoft 365 and other apps do not seem to work with all virtual private network services. This is a problem if you need to work remotely and securely. TechNinjaPro already suggested what to look for in a virtual private network for Office 365 and Outlook.