Recently some people have faced issues where Roku is not able to connect to their Wi-Fi network and also they don’t have a remote to resolve that issue. In cases where they have their Roku remote, it can come really handy, however, connecting to a completely new network can be difficult without the help of the remote.
One solution is to set up a mobile hotspot on your cell phone to create a Wi-Fi access point for your Roku (if you know the Wi-Fi network name or SSID and the password is saved on your Roku).
Some other solutions can also be implemented as Roku has listed various sets of intelligent solutions which you can use to connect your Roku to Wi-Fi without a remote.
One point that must be kept in mind is this, all the below-listed solutions work on all models of Roku (including Roku TV and other newer models) except Roku Ultra. All other models except for Roku Ultra use Wi-Fi to establish connections.
Essentials to Connect Roku to Wi-Fi Without Remote
To apply the following mentioned solutions, you need the essentials below:
- Two mobile phones.
- Wi-Fi network saved on your Roku device:
Now that you have these essentials, you can move forward with the below-mentioned solutions.
Mobile Hotspot Set Up
You need to know that to set up and turn your mobile phone into a mobile hotspot you have to ensure that your wireless service offer includes mobile hotspot access. In our research, not all mobile phones or their internet plans accommodate these features.
After ensuring the above, perform the following steps:
- Navigate to the ‘settings’ of your phone.
- Go on to turn the ‘mobile hotspot’ option on your cell phone.
- Press the ‘set up mobile hotspot’ option (the process of turning on your mobile hotspot may vary from cell phone to cell phone).
- A message will be shown to you where you will be asked questions about your mobile data usage. Proceed by clicking on OK.
- Now go on to fill in the information regarding your Wi-Fi network. Enter the name of the network (SSID) and password of your Wi-Fi network which is saved on your Roku device. Fill in all the other information required.
- Save your new settings and thus, your mobile hotspot will be created.
- Click on OK and your mobile hotspot will be activated.
Once your mobile hotspot is up and running, you can move forward to the next step in setting up to connect Roku to Wi-Fi without a remote.
Using Roku App Set Up to be used as a Remote
Now take out your other cell phone (not the one on which you have your mobile hotspot set up). Perform the following functions on this other cell phone:
- Download your Roku app on your Android device (from the play store) or iOS (from the Apple app store).
- Launch the Roku application and navigate to the bottom of your screen, tap the ‘remote’ icon.
- This will open your Roku remote which is almost the same as your hardware Roku remote.
- Use the buttons of the remote by tapping. You can also switch the layout of the remote from tapping to swiping.
- You can change the settings of your remote by going into the ‘remote settings’ menu.
Update Roku’s Wi-Fi Settings
Use your newly set up Roku remote to update your Roku’s Wi-Fi settings by performing the following functions:
- Open your Roku remote from your Roku mobile application from your cell phone. Use it to navigate to the ‘settings’ on your Roku and select the option of ‘Network’ from there.
- Go on to change the network settings of your Roku to match the recently set Wi-Fi network (mobile hotspot) so that your Roku can start using that network.
- Switch off the mobile hotspot network from your phone and connect your cell phone to the newly set Wi-Fi network which you have set your Roku.
- Start using the Roku remote from the Roku app to make changes.
If you are not able to connect to the mobile hotspot, you can use your Roku remote from the Roku app as your Roku and mobile device is connected to the same network.
Connect Roku Directly to Router
If you have a Roku device that has an Ethernet cable port as it comes in Roku Ultra, you can opt for a wired connection instead of connecting Roku wirelessly.
So, if your Roku supports an Ethernet connection, locate the port at the back of your Roku device with the label of Ethernet. From there use an Ethernet cable to connect Roku with your router.
In a case where you have Roku Streambar, use the USB Ethernet adapter and connect it with your router. Roku TV mostly has Ethernet ports, so do check the back of your Roku TV for an Ethernet port if you have one.
Once the connection has been established between your Roku device and router, perform the following functions:
- Go to your home screen on Roku and navigate to the settings option.
- From there go to network and click on set up connection.
- Now select the option of wired connection.
- Roku will automatically detect your network from there and will set it up.
Contact Roku Customer Support
If you are not able to find the Roku remote from the Roku app or are unable to connect to a wireless network, you can directly go to the customer support portal of Roku and seek help from there.
Find another Remote Compatible with your Roku Model
Since all devices or cell phones do not function the same way, simple process of setting up a Wi-Fi network in addition to using your Roku app as a Roku remote can cause discomfort to a large number of audience.
At every instance, when you are looking to change the connection, you’ll have to perform the entire process of reconnecting your Roku and smartphone to that newly set up connection so that you can fill the absence of your original hardware Roku remote.
To address this query, the easiest solution is to be patient and order a new Roku remote online from any of your trusted tech e-commerce store and resolve your issue once and for all.
The above discussed solutions are simple & easy to implement, and will help you to connect Roku to Wi-Fi without a remote. If you implement these technicalities perfectly, your problem will be resolved.
Once your Roku is now wirelessly connected to a Wi-Fi network without a remote, your Roku will have its own IP address. You can find your Roku ip address by:
- Launch your Roku app and go to Remote > Home.
- Use the arrows on the remote to navigate on your Roku and go to Settings > Network > About.
- You will see the name of the network your Roku is currently connected and below the name of the network, you’ll your Roku IP address.
In case your Roku remote is not working, take out the batteries of your Roku remote and switch off your Roku box/stick by removing the power cable. Wait for a little bit and reconnect your Roku box to the power. Put in the batteries your remote and see if it functions. Press the remote’s pairing button while holding it for three to five seconds. In the next 30 seconds, your remote will reset and re-paired with your Roku TV/device.
- Press the home button and go to the settings option.
- Locate and select the advanced system settings.
- Select the option of network connection reset.
- Click on reset connection.
- Your Roku will restart.
- Enter the Wi-Fi name and password to connect again.