In case you have dabbled in the world of torrenting, you know what P2P means. You have possibly heard stories about the DDoS attacks, dangers of torrenting, and other severe consequences of having your private data leak on the internet. That is what has possibly forced you to look up a P2P virtual private network. However, what is a P2P virtual private network? In this blog, TechNinjaPro will discuss what P2P VPN can do and how do you acquire one?
What Is P2P?
P2P networking is a quick and reliable way to share data with a large group of internet users. Generally, when you desire to download a file, you access dedicated servers or a network of servers from where you select your desired file. With P2P, any individual who downloads data becomes an uploader by default. This makes the complete concept of peer-to-peer file sharing well-managed and easy for all to access when required.
What Is P2P VPN?
A P2P virtual private network is a VPN service specializing in protecting torrenting-related web traffic, helping you protect your personal data by encrypting it. If you do not know, the main purpose of any VPN is to protect your digital privacy. VPN does that by hiding your private data, putting it through an impenetrable tunnel.
Since all your incoming and outgoing internet data will flow through that tunnel, no one will get to track your online information. P2P VPN is a network of self-engineered virtual private network servers that provides an excellent peer-to-peer experience. With dedicated servers for peer-to-peer activities, while protecting your IP address with a reliable VPN service, you get great uploading and downloading speeds while secured with top-notch AES 256-bit encryption.
How Does a P2P VPN Work?
A P2P virtual private network works like any traditional virtual private network except that it allows peer-to-peer traffic. That might look like a small change, but it is actually a major one. Its primary characteristic is that any data file hosting service does not restrict it when it comes to peer-to-peer traffic. Instead, each user taking part in a P2P network gets to upload and download information at any given moment. Therefore, a considerable bandwidth is needed for P2P to work.
That is why specific VPN services have partnered with information centers that allow P2P traffic, although P2P is a resource-hungry activity. P2P VPN will enable you to hide your internet traffic and download P2P files without being afraid of getting a copyright infringement notice. When it comes to virtual private network users, they will not notice a difference between a P2P VPN and a traditional VPN service.
How to Use a P2P VPN Service?
Using a P2P virtual private network is not that different than using a traditional VPN. However, it is important to know how to protect your internet traffic properly. So, here is what you have to do.
- Download and Install a virtual private network: The chances are that you will use your device to download P2P files. Therefore, learn how to install a virtual private network on macOS, Linux, or Windows. Once you install the VPN, open it, log in and make it ready for use.
- Activate a Virtual Private Network session: Connect to a P2P server using your VPN’s user interface. These servers are generally marked in a specific way, and they are available in selected countries only.
- Start downloading P2P Files: You can download a P2P file then open it using a torrent customer. You will need to check these torrent search engines accordingly. It would not damage to check the best torrent clients. So you can find one reliable for P2P VPN.
- Disconnect when Required: Consider that once you disconnect from your virtual private network, your data will resurface on the internet. So, you should first stop your P2P file transfer, close your torrent client and then disconnect from your virtual private network.
What Makes an excellent P2P VPN?
As TechNinjaPro mentioned earlier, not every virtual private network is suitable for P2P internet traffic. With that said, if you need to download torrents using a virtual private network, search for the following features:
- Optimized & Specialized P2P Servers: Primarily ensure that your selected virtual private network brings servers specialized for peer-to-peer traffic.
- Support for Torrent Clients: Some virtual private networks might support a limited choice of torrent clients such as BitTorrent and uTorrent. However, finding a virtual private network that brings worldwide support for all clients is not that difficult.
- Kill Switch: A kill switch will shut down your internet traffic if your virtual private network session ends unexpectedly, stopping your P2P data from leaking online.
- Split Tunneling: More advanced users will need to try split-tunneling, helping them develop two tunnels. One could be used to encrypt P2P traffic, while the second could be used for your regular internet traffic.
- No Bandwidth Limit: Consider that P2P traffic needs a lot of bandwidth, so you would not need any limitations.
Best P2P VPNs in 2021
Selecting the right virtual private network is very confusing for P2P sharing. In this blog, TechNinjaPro will show you the best P2P VPN services in 2021.
NordVPN is a virtual private network that does not track, collect or share your information. It offers security by encrypting the information sent and received. This is a free P2P virtual private network that helps you to stop ads and malware. NordVPN is the best VPN for Android and iPhone devices that permits you to access various streaming sites with no hassle.
- Offer excellent security
- No DNS leaks
- Offers free virtual private network for torrenting
- Torrenting is supported on a few servers.
- Configuring this service with OpenVPN is not user-friendly.
2. Surfshark VPN
Surfshark VPN offers fast and protected access to streaming websites. This VPN service allows sites and apps to bypass the virtual private network blocks. These virtual private network services also provide secure tunneling protocols like IKEv2 and OpenVPN. Surfshark VPN makes your Netflix location anonymous and keeps your personal data safe.
Surfshark VPN allows P2P connection via virtual private networks on specific servers. It can block unwanted sites without any hassle. Surfshark enables users to share their IP addresses with other people on the same server. It can easily protect your identity by covering your actual IP address.
- Provides anonymous and secure internet browsing.
- Excellent customer support
- Provides ideal server connection speed.
- It enables you to keep your information private using 256-bit encryption.
- It has a complicated setup process.
- Weak social media presence.
- Surfshark does not provide access to the Tor browser via a virtual private network.
3. iTop VPN
iTop VPN is a new virtual private network in the market that provides an excellent set of features. It works perfectly with Windows and offers top-notch security systems while you are online. All of iTop VPN’s features work in coherence to guard your internet browser and private information from cybercriminals and hackers. This VPN will cover up all your apps and protect your data and files.
- Allows unlimited data bandwidth.
- Excellent connection speed for streaming online video.
- Great no-logging policy
- Protect your internet traffic by the use of 256-bit encryption.
- Limited bandwidth on the free version.
- Security can be improved.