Privacy has become an important component of our lives, and as a result, there has been a lengthy discussion about digital privacy in recent years. Many people have come to consider that Apple products are somehow attack-proof. While this may be true to some extent, vulnerabilities still exist as no device is 100% resistant to online threats.
As personal devices have evolved, they have started to carry more and more of your essential information such as passwords, private photos, emails, financial data, etc. It has become significantly essential to protect this information. Therefore, if you are concerned about the security of your personal information, getting a reliable virtual private network for your iPhone is crucial. In this blog, TechNinjaPro will discuss what is a VPN on iPhone and why you need it.
What is Virtual Private Network?
A virtual private network protects and secures the connection between two devices connected over a network. This allows these two devices to receive and send personal information to each other. In simple terms, a virtual private network secures and protects all internet traffic between your devices and the VPN servers, including apps and websites.
What is a VPN on an iPhone?
It is a VPN that protects your iPhone from data snoopers and hackers. If you install a virtual private network app on your iPhone and connect to a VPN server, all the information traveling to and from your device will b encrypted. Using a virtual private network on your iPhone will hide your device’s IP, so the sites you visit will not know your location. This adds an added layer of security when you connect to the internet.
Let’s have a look at some examples to understand how VPN works on your iPhone completely.
Cover browsing activity on public wifi or local ISPs
The primary use of VPN is its ability to protect and mask your internet browsing activity from your local internet service provider network or when you are on a public wifi network such as an airport or café. Most of these public internet networks are provided for free, and in return, they snoop on customers’ privacy by reading their internet browsing habits, social media activities, online purchases, etc. To protect yourself and your information from such snoopers, you can enable a virtual private network on your iPhone.
Once a virtual private network is enabled, your iPhone creates a protected and encrypted channel to the fortified VPN servers, and all internet traffic between the two is kept confidential from the public wifi networks and ISPs.
Accessing geo-locked websites
Let’s assume that you are currently vacationing in England and need to watch some of your favorite movies from Hulu US on your iPhone. If you directly access the Hulu sites, you might see an error or not access the same catalog. With the help of a VPN for the iPhone, you can create a protected connection between your iPhone and a VPN server located in the US.
By doing this, you will access Hulu as if you are in the US. The VPN server relays all the internet traffic between your iPhone and Hulu servers.
Should I use a VPN on my iPhone?
Yes, you can use a virtual private network on your iPhone. People are getting concerned about their data security and privacy and already have a virtual private network app installed on their phones. So, if you own an iPhone, it is about time you take some steps to protect your internet traffic.
Why do I Need to Use a Virtual Private Network on my iPhone?
Connect to the office network remotely: You can use the virtual private network to remotely access private data stored on the office network from anywhere in the world. You can set up a virtual private network server o the local office network and connect to this server over VPN. Most modern offices need their employees to be on virtual private networks to access private data.
- Access geo-locked websites: Most VPN applications, including PureVPN, provide you access to multiple virtual private network servers worldwide. It also allows you to select the desired location if required manually. This way, you can choose to surf geo-locked versions of sites from anywhere in the world.
- Hide internet browsing activity on public wifi: A virtual private network helps secure all your internet browsing activity on your devices when you are connected to public wifi networks at cafes or airports.
- Bypass network speed throttling: Some local internet service providers select to throttle speeds of some sites. This makes it impossible to selectively throttle speeds. You can hop onto a virtual private network connection to bypass this limitation, as the VPN tunnel makes it nearly impossible for the internet service provider to detect what is happening between your device and the VPN servers.
- Testing apps or sites: A virtual private network helps you test how your site is available to users in different countries. You can resolve any speed issues with your site or app and get them fixed with ease by simulating network access over a VPN.
- Bypass local censorship laws: If you live in a country that has implemented censorship to block or limit access to specific sites, you can use a VPN to bypass these restrictions.
Best VPNs for iPhone
How to Configure a Virtual Private Network on your iPhone
The simplest way to configure a virtual private network on your iPhone is through the reliable providers listed above. First, sign up for one of the reliable VPNs and install the relevant application on your iOS device. Then open it and sign in to your VPN account.
After signing in, you will be prompted to allow the app to add a virtual private network configuration to your iPhone. Click allow to have the VPN set up on your iPhone automatically. You will be asked to enter the passcode or Face ID to allow a change in your virtual private network settings. Once the virtual private network is enabled, you can choose and connect it at any time without having to open the application again.
- Click Settings from your screen.
- Click General.
- Choose a virtual private network.
- Toggle the status switch on.