The security and privacy problems prevalent in modern society have created a powerful demand for solutions to keep your privacy and security from falling through the invisible cracks behind digital communication networks. PureVPN is one of the best-rated virtual private network services fighting the battle against privacy and online security invasions so that users can exercise some control over their own autonomy and privacy on the internet.
But most users seek PureVPN as a single-dimensional virtual private network service working on a single device. The truth is, you could set up PureVPN on the router and turn the entire area within the range of your wifi a protective blanket of sorts, keeping all devices connected to the secure VPN tunnel. In this blog, TechNinjaPro will explain how to set up PureVPN on the router, including the most commonly used router devices.
Best VPN for Router
PureVPN is certainly one of the best VPNs for routers. However, several other VPN services are also capable of handling the load of the router. Some of the best VPN services for the router are:
Reasons for Installing PureVPN on Router
PureVPN is an outstanding virtual private network that delivers excellent performance for all kinds of tasks, from torrenting and streaming to maintaining a high level of security on the internet. If you configure PureVPN on a router, not only can you enjoy all these exciting benefits for all your devices, you can do so simply with a flip on the router switch. This is the convenience of having your router be running PureVPN.
As such, ay of your device that has an internet connection to your router will automatically be linked to the VPN server that you have set on PureVPN, granting you the privacy and online freedom you want.
Setup Instructions for PureVPN on Common Routers
The process of installing PureVPN on a router varies for different router types and models though the general steps are approximately the same. TechNinjaPro will demonstrate the setup process for some of the common routers.
Difficulty Level: Beginner
So, you are not tech-savvy? No issue. The setup instructions mentioned below are so simple even your grandpa could do it.
Setup PureVPN on Netgear Genie
The steps to install PureVPN on Netgear Genie are mentioned below:
- Get a PureVPN subscription.
- Open your Netgear control panel.
- Tap on the Advanced tab, then the VPN client in the sidebar.
- Click on Enable VPN Client.
- Select PureVPN in the VPN server.
- Choose the desired protocol in the VPN protocol.
- Select your preferred server location.
- Enter your PureVPN credentials.
- Click on Connect, and you are done.
Install PureVPN on Linksys Router
Setup PureVPN on Linksys router is relatively easy. Follow the below-mentioned steps to install PureVPN on Linksys router.
- Open your Linksys router panel
- Click on Setup and open Basic Setup.
- Choose PPTP from the connection type drop-down menu.
- Now Choose ” Obtain IP automatically.”
- Find the IP of your desired PureVPN server
- Enter your PureVPN credentials.
- Scroll down and click save settings.
With these steps, PureVPN will provide the security you need for all your devices connected to the Linksys router.
Difficulty level: Intermediate
Now, you know something about IP, DNS, and routers. That is perfect. You can possibly install PureVPN on the following routers easily.
D-Link PureVPN Installation (PPTP)
D-Link router can be configured to run PureVPN’s PPTP protocol for ultimate security and online freedom.
- Open your D-Link control Panel.
- Tap on setup and open the internet.
- Manual internet connection setup.
- Pick PPTP in the internet connection type menu.
- In Address Mode, choose Dynamic IP address.
- Enter the server address of your required location in the PPTP server IP address.
- In the username and password fields, enter your login credentials provided by PureVPN.
- Choose your preference in the Reconnect Mode.
- Press Save when all the above changes are complete.
TP-Link PureVPN Installation (PPTP)
The steps to install PureVPN on TP-Link routers using the PPTP protocol are mentioned below.
- Open your router control panel by opening the URL from your browser.
- On the sidebar, click on Network > WAN.
- In the WAN connection, choose PPTP.
- Type in your PureVPN credentials.
- Select Dynamic IP address.
- Insert the address of your desired PureVPN server in the server IP address.
- Click on DHCP and enter the primary and secondary DNS addresses.
- Click on security > Basic Security, then enable SPI firewall, PPTP passthrough, L2TP passthrough, and IPSec passthrough. Press Save.
- Click on Connect Automatically and click save to complete the setup.
ASUS PureVPN Installation Using OpenVPN Protocol
PPTP is an outdated virtual private network protocol that is not recommended because of security vulnerabilities. OpenVPN and IKEv2 are the recommended protocols for robust security. Using Asus router, you can take benefit of PureVPN’s OpenVPN protocol. The steps to install PureVPN on Asus are listed below.
- Download PureVPN .ovpn configuration files.
- Open the Asus control panel by entering the appropriate URL in the internet browser.
- In the sidebar, tap on VPN in the advanced settings.
- Click on VPN client and then Add profile.
- Tap on the OpenVPN tab and enter the following required details:
- Description: Select any name for the VPN connection.
- Username: Insert your PureVPN username.
- Password: Insert your PureVPN password.
- Click the select file and upload .ovpn configuration files which
- After the uploading is complete, tap on Import the CA file or edit the .ovpn file manually and tap on Edit.
- Open the location where your .ovpn files are saved and find CA.crt. Open it in Notepad, copy its content and paste it under certificate authority.
- Open WDC.key in Notepad, copy its content and paste it under static key, click on save, and then press Activate.
Installing PureVPN on Arris using PPTP protocol
- Open your Arris router control panel.
- Tap on the Wan Setup and then on PPTP on the sidebar.
- Tick on Enable PPTP.
- Enter your PureVPN credentials.
- Type in the address of your required server in the Server Host Name field.
- In the Server Address field, select “Get automatically from ISP.”
- Enable Idle Timeout and set it to 300.
- Enable Keep-alive and set it to 30.
- Leave other fields blank.
- Apply the changes
Difficulty level: Ultra
The installation processes for the following router are for the computer geeks with a fairly strong heart and sufficient experience in the digital world.
Install PureVPN on Mikrotik Router (PPTP)
- Get a premium PureVPN subscription.
- Open the Mikrotik control panel.
- Tap PPP > PPTP client.
- In the general tab, type in PureVPN-PPTP.
- Next, Tap Dial Out and enter the required PureVPN server address in the Connect To field.
- Enter your PureVPN credentials.
- Check the Dial on Demand and Add Default Route.
- Click on OK to save your settings.
- Navigate to IP > Firewall in the main menu.
- In the NAT tab, add a New Bat Rule. Choose scrnatin the chain drop-down menu and PureVPN-PPTP from Out Interface List.
- Click the Action tab and pick masquerade from the dropdown list. Tick OK to save the settings.
- In the General tab, choose prerouting from the chain list. Tap on the Mangle tab, then Adds a New Rule. Now enter an IP you need to connect with.
- Click on the Action tab and choose mark routing in the Action drop-down menu. Type PureVPN-PPTP in the New Routing Mark field and tick OK.
- Select IP > Routes on the main menu.
- Click the + sign to add a new route.
- Click IP > DNS.
- Now check the box against ” Allow Remote Requests” and save the settings.
- Click IP > DHCP server.
- Type in 188.8.131.52 in DNS servers fields. Tap Apply to save your settings.
- Click interface from the menu, then tap open PureVPN-PPTP interface.
- In the status tag, click enable.
Why Do I Need a VPN For Router?
A virtual private network can ensure all of your devices to be protected and safe, and it also boasts some benefits in saving your money and time. By routing all your devices through a virtual private network from the router, an internet service provider or any other entity on the web would not see the traffic these devices generate.
Protect Multiple Devices: A virtual private network lets you protect all of your devices from the source, which is safe, convenient, and easy to do with a VPN router.
Extreme Convenience: With a VPN router, you do not have to set up a virtual private network app on every single device. Set up the virtual private network on the router, any device connected to the VPN router can use virtual private network services.
Excellent Compatibility: Virtual private network routers can deliver VPN to any wifi-enabled device such as phones, pads, computers, smart TVs. This means that any Wi-Fi device can connect to your virtual private network router and share on VPN access.
Fully Automated: VPN router will connect to the internet through a virtual private network. No need to connect to the VPN on all your devices.
Protect Non-native Devices: VPN routers protect non-native devices that are generally not supported for virtual private network use, such as PlayStation 3, Apple TV, and many more.
Unblock Apps and content: If you are located in a country that blocks specific apps or content, a virtual private network router allows you to bypass the restrictions and connect to the internet via an encrypted VPN tunnel through another country entirely.
Reasons to Select PureVPN
PureVPN is one of the leading virtual private network services that operates a self-managed VPN constellation of more than 6500 servers in around 78 countries. The reasons to select PureVPN for the router are mentioned below:
No Log Policy
PureVPN promises outstanding privacy, and this policy is verified thrice by independent auditors like KPMG and Altius IT. This virtual private network has an audited no-log policy that means it does not store any data relating to the user, such as IP addresses, browsing history, DNS requests, and timestamps, etc.
24/7 Live Support
If you run into a problem while configuring or using PureVPN on your router, worry not. PureVPN’s customer support is available to help you anytime, any day, via live chat.
PureVPN offers users unlimited access to a fast-expanding network of more than 6500 servers in around 70 countries.
By configuring your VPN router to use the OpenVPN protocol, all your devices on the network can enjoy 256-bit military-grade protection.
Every device that is connected to your router will enjoy unlimited bandwidth for perfect streaming, gaming, and downloading.
Configure your home or home VPN router to protect yourself with 256-bit encryption protocol, the best option on the market available for all your devices.
Yes, if your wifi router is VPN compatible. Putting a virtual private network on your router will eliminate the need to set up a VPN on every device. VPN will protect every device upon connecting to the router.
Not all routers can be turned into a VPN router, but there are plenty of them that can be. If the router model is not supported, you will need to invest in a virtual private network-capable router.
To find out if your router is virtual private network compatible, you can check the router’s manual or do a Google search. If you have an internet service provider modem, likely, you would not be able to put a VPN on your router.
If you are using a modem offered by your internet service provider, you cannot set up a VPN. In this situation, you will need to connect a VPN-supported router to your modem and configure the virtual private network directly on that device instead.
PureVPN has excellent compatibility with every recognized router available in the market. The setup instructions are not difficult to follow, and if you pay attention, you can accomplish the installation without much hassle. So, if you are a satisfied PureVPN user, there is no reason why you should not upgrade the security for all your devices by installing it on your router.