Port forwarding is a method that allows users on remote networks to communicate with a device that is connected to a local network, usually behind a router or series of switches. In simple, it will allow users to create dedicated servers, run different types of services, and much more without being limited from accessing anything because you will be able to direct internet traffic via your router to the preferred device that sits behind it. In this blog, TechNinjaPro will discuss what port forwarding is in detail.
Best VPNs with Port Forwarding
PureVPN is undoubtedly one of the best VPNs with Port Forwarding. However, many other VPNs are also offering port forwarding on Linux. Some of the best VPN services with Port Forwarding are:
Types Of Port Forwarding
There are three types of port forwarding actions that users can perform on a router:
Local Port Forwarding
Local port forwarding is required when you connect your local system to an online game or P2P server. With the assistance of local port forwarding, your firewall will enable you to access geo-restricted sites or pages.
Remote Port Forwarding
Remote port forwarding is required when you can connect your device to a remote network. For remote port forwarding, you need to know the external IP of the server and port numbers.
Dynamic Port Forwarding
Dynamic port forwarding is required when you connect your PC to a reliable internet server that behaves as a single network point to get or send information to other servers. Dynamic port forwarding can provide added security when you are connected to an unreliable network.
How to Test Port Forwarding on Linux
To test and make sure that port forwarding has been successfully enabled and the required port is being forwarded, you can perform the test below for verification on your Linux system.
- First, make sure the virtual private network is successfully connected to the Linux device where you need to enable port forwarding.
- Install the ncat packages to run the test.
sudo apt-get install ncat
- After connecting to the virtual private network, installing the needed packages, and selecting the preferred port, you will enter this command:
ncat -1 <remote port>
- Then click enter. After clicking enter, there will not be any output; this means the test is ready to go:
- Use a second device that is not connected to your internet network. TechNinjaPro recommends using your mobilephone connected to mobile data. It is essential that the second device is using a different internet connection; if you use the same connection, the test will not return any results. Open the web browser on your second device and enter the URL mentioned below:
http://<VPN IP>L< Forwarded Port>
- Then click enter. If you get the terminal output on the virtual private network-enabled device, then port forwarding is working.
Why Do You need to Use Port Forwarding?
You might be having issues with hosting a site or connecting to an online internet server. Chances are you cannot connect because a port needs to be opened. This is where port forwarding can assist you. If you regularly play online games on your PC, download P2P files, or need remote access to some devices, it is worth considering port forwarding. Port Forwarding helps with stability and ensures access to different servers but does not improve speed.
That is being said, because port forwarding may support performance improvements, it can help you play Call of Duty, Cold War, Fortnite without any lagging. As you create a communication channel with a game server, you can enjoy a reliable gaming experience. In conclusion, port forwarding makes a way between your device and a server in a completely different location without any distortion.
Different Techniques to Port Forward a Router
- A Demilitarized Zone: A DMZ will throw all incoming requests to a particular device on your local internet network. If your wifi does not know what to do with an incoming request, it will forward all internet traffic to a device in the DMZ. It is like your router’s garbage disposal. It is pretty where all device ports are forwarded to the absence of any port forwarding rules.
- FYI: It is not recommended to use a demilitarized zone because it opens all requests. If your router has that as a compulsory choice, specify an IP on your local network that does not exist.
- Port Forwarding: if you do not need a specific request to fall into a DMV, you must select port forwarding. To do that, you need to tell your router what to do with an incoming request. In a simple way, your internet router will get a specific request and forward it to a certain device after configuring the router as described above.
How to Port Forward your router
You need to be familiar with your router’s IP address, the device you are using, and the port number of the game server. Port numbers are clear for games or requests, so you do not need to worry about finding them.
- Log in to your router’s configuration settings.
- Click on the port forwarding section in the Advanced tab.
- Enter your router device name and the port numbers.
- Choose Apply.
How to Use a Port Forwarding Addon with PureVPN
Another simple way to open ports on your router is to use PureVPN that provides port forwarding. Forwarding ports using a PureVPN is much simpler than manually configuring the router. Using a port forwarding addon can assist get around NAT firewalls and encrypting your connection. You can either connect a virtual private network before applying port forwarding rules on a router or afterward. The plan is to protect your communication channel from unknown requests and DDoS attacks.
- Subscribe and install the PureVPN app.
- Login with PureVPN credentials.
- Go to the port forwarding section.
- Block all ports and enable specific ones.
- Click Apply, and you are done.
Port Forwarding can create an internet connection between your device and a remote server. The process cannot improve or affect your ping in any way. However, you can download P2P files much quicker via port forwarding, but not because of a low ping.
The significant difference is you want a static IP address for port forwarding while port triggering needs a dynamic IP address. With port triggering, the IP keeps changing, and therefore it is considered much safe than port forwarding.
Yes, it can affect if you are using IP cameras. The best technique to improve security is to close all unknown ports when you are not using them and use virtual private network encryption when accessing remote cameras. If you do not do that, then snoopers can get access to your personal internet network.