Virtual private networks make it incredibly easy to stay safe online, and their ability to avoid geo-restrictions means you can access your favorite platforms from anywhere in the world. Most of the time, virtual private network services work without a hitch. So, it can be confusing or irritating if you suddenly have trouble connecting to your VPN.
VPN services have gone from gloom to a common technique of linking private networks across the internet. VPN connections do occasionally experience problems. When your virtual private network is acting a little cranky and not working perfectly, this blog can help you get up and working again.
- Causes of VPN Connection Not Working
- Troubleshooting Steps to Reconnect Your VPN
- Best VPNs that work perfectly
Causes of VPN Connection Not Working
Virtual private network connection issues are often software or browser-related, so solving the problem of a misbehaving VPN is generally a process of elimination. Your virtual private network might be acting up due to:
- Running out-of-date VPN software
- An overloaded VPN server
- Using the wrong VPN protocol
Troubleshooting Steps to Reconnect Your VPN
When your VPN would not work, try these solutions:
- Check your network connection. It may seem clear, but ensure your internet connection is working. In particular, if your wifi connection is not working, check whether your system is connected to the correct access point.
- Check your login credentials. Not having the correct or updated login credentials is another evident but often ignored detail. If you use a free VPN service, check the site to see if the credential supplied by the virtual private network has changed or your password needs to be updated.
- Change the virtual private network server connection. VPN services generally provide a selection of servers you can connect to. However, sometimes the server you are trying to connect to is having problems. It may be down provisionally or burdened with loads of connections. Try a different VPN server and see if that resolved the issue.
- Restart the VPN app or browser plug-in. If changing the VPN server does not work, restart the VPN app or browser plug-in. Do not just disconnect from the VPN server; quit and restart the app. In the case of browser plug-ins, completely close down and reopen the browser. You may have to clear your browser cache to get the plug-in working again.
- Check that your VPN app is updated. VPN app is frequently updated. To remove the possibility of bugs and to improve performance, be sure you are running the latest app available. In most cases, you can verify for updates under the VPN menu to get the updated app. You can set your virtual private network to update automatically in the VPN settings.
- Check that your web browser is updated. To remove common web browser problems, use a web browser supported and endorsed by your VPN service. Also, ensure that you have the latest web browser installed.
- Reinstall the updated VPN app. If nothing else has worked to this end, reinstall the VPN app. To get the latest app, go to the VPN provider’s website to find and reinstall the updated software for your operating system. You may need to uninstall any old software packages first to ensure you start with a clean slate.
- Change the VPN tunneling protocol. If you are striving to connect, the problem could be with the VPN tunneling protocol. Go into the VPN settings or network settings and try using different protocols. For example, L2TP/IPSec, OpenVPN, or IKeV2/IPSec.
- Check your router settings. Some router does not support VPN passthrough features that allow traffic to pass freely to the internet. On your home internet network, check your router and private firewall settings for those choices.
VPN Passthrough: There may be a choice in the security settings to enable PPTP or IPSec.
Port Forwarding & Protocols: Your private firewall in the router and any installed firewall programs may need to have specific ports forwarding, and protocols opened. In particular, IPSec VPN services need to have UDP port 500 forwarded and protocols 50 and 51 opened.
- Change the connection port. Some internet service providers and networks block traffic on specific ports. Check the VPN support documentation to see if it recommends using a particular port number. If so, using a dissimilar port may solve the issue.
- Chat with the VPN service provider. If the virtual private network is not connecting or working, contact your VPN service A customer service agent may ask you which workarounds you tried and the kind of setup you have, such as the type of router, internet connection, and operating system. As a virtual private network expert, the provider should be able to help you out.
Best VPNs that work perfectly
Selecting the right virtual private network service has a significant impact on its work. In this blog, TechNinjaPro is going to list the highly recommended VPN services that work perfectly.
Surfshark is one of the most excellent VPNs that comes packed with features. It is considered to be one of the well-known in the VPN market. With its vast network of servers worldwide, Surfshark is guaranteed that you will be able to get access to a lot of blocked geo-restricted content online. It offers a kill switch and DNS leak prevention features combined with split tunneling, making Surfshark an excellent value for money.
Surfshark offers its users a clean cyber ocean where you would not have to worry about phishing attempts or ads. With its CleanWeb feature, you would not get traced or tracked by internet service providers or governments.
NordVPN is a budget-friendly VPN service for an everyday internet Joe who needs the ultimate protection from external threats and attacks like malware. It has many servers and is integrated with tools and features that you will not generally find on other VPN services. NordVPN has a strict no-logs privacy protocol which means they do not track, collect or share your personal information with anyone and vice versa.
NordVPN has the latest WireGuard technology installed in their software which provides its users with improved security. It helps its users by making their internet activity and browsing safe behind the wall of next-generation encryption. NordVPN has been tested by various security analysts on all of the internet and has concluded that it is one of the excellent services in 2021 by top VPN providers.
CyberGhost is a service provider that lets you make seven simultaneous connections and has various security features that other VPN providers do not have. It will mask your IP address which will help you in anonymous internet browsing securely and safely. You can use CyberGhost to spoof your location, protect your internet identity and unblock all kinds of geo-restricted content.
It will allow you to select those servers that will provide access to that particular content that cannot be accessed from your region. CyberGhost will change your location via their safe servers, thus providing you more access. It has installed the top-notch technology protocols that will gain you access via its extensive server network all across the globe.