WmiPrvSE (WMI Provider Host) is the short form for Windows Management Instrumentation Provider Service. It’s a secure process produced by Microsoft and required for Windows to perform correctly.It sometimes occur that even if your PC is left idle, your CPU resources are still being used because of some of the background processes that are running in the background to carry out some of the common system functions. WmiPrvSE is a Windows Host Management Process that is utilized by the Developers for Monitoring Purposes.
It gives info when an app or maybe service requests info about your OS. Under ordinary conditions, WmiPrvSE features a little program footprint and runs when you initially launch Windows. After upgrading Windows seven to ten, many customers have seen a spike in CPU usage, and that helps make the method hot, lag as well as slow.
- Why does it happen?
- What is WMI Provider Host?
- Can I remove WMI Provider Host?
- Is WmiPrvSE.exe a Virus?
- How to Fix WMI Provider Host?
- Can I Disable WMI Provider Host?
- Should WMI Provider Host use so much CPU?
Why does it happen?
It comes about when the procedure runs at extremely high CPU usage; it might indicate that an application is requiring significant data from WMI Provider Host. It might also trouble due to a corrupt registry or perhaps lousy software.
What is WMI Provider Host?
As mentioned earlier it is an acronym for ‘Windows Management Instrumentation and is an essential component for the Windows Operating System having an aim to provide management data to various system components. If we have to break it down into layman terms, we can say that several parts of the system have their dependency on the information provided by WMI Provider Host for the proper functioning of your PC.
Can I remove WMI Provider Host?
Well it’s not a possibility to remove WMI Provider Host as various programs are dependent on the service offered by WMI for their proper functioning. We highly recommend that you shouldn’t remove WMI Provider Host as it will cause instability in your system’s components and can end up crashing your Operating System.
Is WmiPrvSE.exe a Virus?
The legit WmiPrvSE.exe or perhaps the Windows Management Instrumentation Provider Service procedure is found in the Windows/System32 folder. Still, malware can disguise themselves working with this particular place and title themselves in any folder. Therefore, to isolate the possibility, check out the Properties on the file and also scan it together with your antivirus.
How to Fix WMI Provider Host?
It is quite simple and easy. As the program is demanding a massive CPU usage, it may seem as it is challenging. But it is not. Here are some of the tested methods to solve the WMI Provider Host issue in Windows 10.
1. Restart WMI Provider Host Service (Quick Fix)
In several instances, the issue is with WMI Provider Host Service occupying a lot of your PC resources. You can restart it:
- On the computer keyboard of yours, press the Windows logo key and R at the same period, subsequently kind in the search box services.msc and press Enter.
- Press W key element to quickly locate Windows Management Instrument service. Right-click it and choose Restart.
It should solve the issue ASAP.
2. Execute a Clean Boot
This is the best way to get the real cause of the problem. You should try this if you are concerned about your laptop. Well, I am concerned, so here is the tutorial for that.
It’s feasible that a particular application program may be creating higher CPU usage by WMI Provider Host. Consequently, in this phase, we’ll be doing a thorough clean boot and isolating the program, which is creating excessive usage. In a thoroughly clean shoe, only the services that are essential in the Boot process are packed, and additional apps and services are disabled. To be able to do a Clean Boot:
- Log in on the pc having an Administrator account.
- Press Windows R to start the RUN prompt.
- Opening Run Prompt.
- Type in MSConfig and press Enter.
- Operating MSCONFIG
- Just click on the Services option and uncheck the Hide many Microsoft Services buttons.
- Clicking on the Services tab and Unchecking the hide many Microsoft Services options Click the Disable All feature and after that on OK.
- Clicking on the Disable All option Click the Startup tab and click the Open Task Manager option.
- Clicking on the Open Task Manager option Click the Startup button within the task manager.
- Click on any application within the list which has Enabled written alongside it and choose the Disable option.
- Clicking on the Startup tab and choosing an application mentioned there Repeat the approach for most uses within the summary and restart the pc of yours.
- Today your laptop is booted in the Clean Boot state.
- Check to find out if the issue vanishes entirely.
- If the higher CPU consumption is not encountered, it implies that a third party program or maybe the system was causing it.
- Start by enabling one program at a time in a similar way and stop when the higher CPU usage comes back.
- Reinstall the service/application by enabling that the excessive usage will come back or even keep it disabled.
Can I Disable WMI Provider Host?
It’s technically easy to turn off the “Windows Management Instrumentation service” on the pc of yours. Nevertheless, this will break several different areas on your PC. It is an immensely important component of the Windows operating system and must be left alone.
As the official explanation for this particular program says, “If the program is stopped, most Windows-based applications won’t work properly.” And so do not disable this service! If you have an issue with it, you have to determine the procedure on the computer of yours that is creating the WMI Provider Host to work with a lot of CPU and upgrade, take out, or perhaps turn off that method instead.
Should WMI Provider Host use so much CPU?
WMI Provider Host’s job is to stay still/idle most of the time and only functions when another software or script request pops up and needs WMI assistance. When WMI Provide Host is in use, a very small amount of CPU consumption/usage happens which eventually drops down after WMI completes its function.
If in some case WMI Provider Host keeps up the high CPU usage and prolongs it for a long time, then you must understand that there is something very terribly wrong with your WMI Provider Host and thus it shouldn’t be consuming that much of CPU resources.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, It’s technically easy to turn off the “Windows Management Instrumentation service” on the pc of yours. Nevertheless, this will break several different areas on your PC. It is an immensely important component of the Windows operating system and must be left alone.
No, and the reason is that The legit WmiPrvSE.exe or perhaps the Windows Management Instrumentation Provider Service procedure is found in the Windows/System32 folder. Still, malware can disguise themselves working with this particular place and title themselves in any folder.
WmiPrvSE (WMI Provider Host) is the acronym for Windows Management Instrumentation Provider Service. It’s a secure process produced by Microsoft and required for Windows to perform correctly.
No, it is not that safe to disable the WmiPrvSE.exe file. It manages the Windows management instrumentation. So, disabling it can cause problems in that.
Yes, it is essential. WmiPrvSE is a Windows Host Management Process that is utilized by the Developers for Monitoring Purposes. It gives info when an app or maybe service requests info about your OS. Under ordinary conditions, WmiPrvSE features a little program footprint and just runs when you initially launch Windows.
So here are the solutions for the WMI provider host issue. The best and quick solution for that is you can restart the service as mentioned in the first solution. You can also dig deep to get into the real cause of the problem by applying the other answers.