This is very common among Windows 10 users to start experiencing an error while installing windows on their computer. They see an error “Windows could not complete the installation. To install Windows on this computer, restart the installation” during the process.
The reasons behind this error may vary in each case. In this article, TechNinjaPro will help you understand the error and what you can do to get rid of it.
When Will This Error Occur?
A few situations have been pointed out by Windows users when they start seeing Windows installation errors on their screens.
- After upgrading to Windows 10, you’ll get an error notice in Windows Update stating that Windows couldn’t finish the installation.
- When Windows 10 cannot complete the installation due to a problem, the combo keys Shift + F10 do not operate.
- You may encounter this installation failure issue in some Windows versions. This problem, for example, only happens on Windows 10 Home. This problem is not present in Windows 10 Education or Pro editions.
If your computer is showing the same Windows 10 could not complete the installation error; then there is no need to worry about it; further, in the article, you will find a solution to help you escape this situation.
Reason Behind “Windows 10 Could Not Complete Installation”
It is challenging to figure out the real cause behind this error. Here are a few reasons that some of the users have figured out:
- Windows 10 will require a password to be added to the security policy, and if you don’t have one, Windows will be unable to complete the installation in Windows 10 update.
- The other is a problem with your computer’s operating system.
- If you are facing this error, you are using Audit Mode to install Windows, which is the leading cause of this error. When Windows boots for the first time, it can either boot to Windows Welcome Mode or Audit Mode.
What is Audit Mode?
Audit Mode is a network-enabled environment that allows users to customize Windows images.
After installation, Windows displays a Welcome page every time it starts up; however, you may bypass this screen and go straight to audit mode. In a nutshell, Audit Mode allows you to boot directly to the desktop after installing Windows.
How to exit from Audit Mode?
Follow the steps to escape from Audit Mode
- Press Windows + R Keys Simultaneously. Run box will pop up
- Type C:\Windows\System32\sysprep\sysprep.exe.
- Change Enter System Audit Mode to Enter System Out-of-Box Experience (OOBE) mode.
- Click OK to Reboot.
How to Fix Windows 10 Couldn’t Complete the Installation ERROR?
If you see the error that windows could not complete the install and you need to restart the computer, there are several things that you can do to fix this issue.
In this article, TechNinjaPro has listed the best solutions for the error. Try applying all the fixes and see which one works best for you.
1. Try Automatic Repair
The first step is significant to fix any error in your computer. You should try to solve the issue with built-in troubleshooting features. The solution should be basic and not take too much time and energy.
Therefore it is recommended that you run the Automatic Repair, which will detect and fix the computer’s boot faults. The procedure to run the Automatic Repair is effortless.
First, you need to restart your computer. Click the boot button as the restart begins. You may use it to look up the model name of your machine. Once you’ve obtained your boot option key, keep hitting it while the restart procedure is in progress. The boot options screen will appear on your screen if you do everything correctly.
Steps to follow are as follow:
- First, you need to enter the Windows Recovery Environment.
- Navigate to the Troubleshoot option and select it.
- Now click on Advanced options.
- On the next screen, hit Automatic Repair.
Your PC will start the Automatic Repair process. Once it is completed, restart your device and check if the Windows 10 could not complete installation error is resolved.
2. Restart Your Computer
Sometimes, big windows errors get resolved by simply restarting the device. Some users have reported that when they restart their computers several times, the Windows could not complete the installation error goes away.
It is recommended that before any of the solutions given in this article, you can give a chance to the restart option in your PC. try to reboot the device multiple times. If the issue with windows installation remains, you can move to the other fixes.
3. Turn On Administrator Account
You must have experienced that when you try to perform some action on your computer, it tells that you do not have the administrator authority. This limitation is designed for parents, so they can only allow their children to perform certain activities on the computer and do not access adult content.
This Windows could not be installed error can be caused due to this, and by fixing this will also resolve the installation issue. Turning on the Administrator Account will allow the installation procedure without any problems.
Follow the procedures outlined below:
- On the error screen, open the Command Prompt.
- In the command prompt, type the MMC command and press enter.
- Your computer system will now prompt you to grant or deny access to the MMC. Proceed by selecting Yes.
- A Console Root window will now pop up. Select Add/Remove Snap-in from the File menu.
- Locate and launch the Computer Management program.
- In the Computer Management screen, select Local computer and click Finish.
- After that, click OK. Then, on the left, double-click the Computer Management option.
- Select Local users and groups entirely qualified for the menu, then open the Users folder.
- Open the Administrator in Computer management local system tools local users, uncheck the Account is deactivated option, and click OK.
- To set the password, right-click on the Administrator.
After that, restart your computer to see whether the problem has been resolved.
4. Reset Your Computer
Earlier in the article, TechNinjaPro has explained how you can use the system’s built-in feature to resolve the issue. To address Windows 10 couldn’t complete the installation, it is recommended that you utilize the advanced recovery option in Windows 10.
After showing how to use Automatic Repair in the first solution, in this fix, you will learn how to use the reset your computer option in the advanced recovery to get rid of the Windows could not complete installation error.
Follow the steps below very carefully:
- Restart your computer a few times until the settings menu appears. You’ll go to the Automatic Repair section.
- Select Advanced options in the Automatic Repair section, click on Troubleshoot.
- On the page, navigate to Reset this PC and click Keep my files in the following window.
- It will then take you to the Reset this PC dialogue, which you should cancel.
You must be thinking. Why are you asked to withdraw? Well, here you are supposed to use the reset your PC option to fix the Windows could not complete the installation issue, not reset the PC in reality. Now follow the steps to complete the process:
- Press Continue in the Choose an option box. As a result, you can quit and return to Windows 10.
Now restart the process of windows installed on your computer. It will resolve the issue, and you will be entirely qualified to install Windows 10 updates appropriately.
5. Run New Account Command
Due to some settings set for the account you are using to install Windows 10, they can halt the process. Creating a new account using the command prompt and then installing the windows updates is good.
You must run the Account creation command to make the new generic account. Follow the instructions below:
- Search Cmd in Start and right-click Command Prompt to run it as administrator.
- Copy and paste cd %windir%/system32/oobe/ into Command Prompt, then press Enter.
- Then, in Command Prompt, enter msoobe and press Enter to run it.
- Your PC will urge you to create a new account name and password.
After establishing the account name and password, you should restart your computer for the changes to take effect. Now, you will log in to Windows 10 once the installation is completed.
6. Fix the issue from Computer Management
This is another way to solve the problem of windows 10 installation. It has been discovered that A password issue on your PC mainly causes windows 10 setup difficulty. In this fix, you will learn how to enable the account and create a password.
As a result, you will be able to get rid of the installation error.
Follow the steps below to complete the process:
- Search Cmd in Start and right-click Command Prompt to run it as administrator.
- To go to Local Security Policy, type secpol.msc in Command Prompt and press Enter.
- Under Local Security Policy. Go to Account Policies and then Password Policy.
- Double-click Minimum password length in the left pane of Password Policy to access its Properties.
- Set the minimum password length to 0 in the Minimum password length Properties window, then select Apply and OK to preserve the changes.
After this, you have disabled the password on your PC. Now you can log in without the password.
- Return to the Local Security Policy window, and double-click Password Must Meet Complexity Requirements under Password Policy.
- In the Password must meet complexity requirement Properties window, under Local Security Settings tab, check the Disabled bo for Password must meet complexity requirements.
- To save your changes, click Apply and OK.
After the process, it will resolve the issue with windows installation, and you will be able to log in to windows 10.
Check System Requirements
Every program requires some hardware requirements to function on any device. Just like that, Windows 10 starts showing errors on the system that does not meet all of the prerequisites. If you are experiencing the Windows could not complete installation error on your computer, you should check if your computer meets these parameters:
|RAM||1 GB, 2 GB, for 32 bit and 64 bit, respectively.|
|Hard Disk||16 GB, 20 GB, for 32 bit and 64 bit, respectively.|
|Processor||A 1GHz or better|
|Screen Resolution||800 x 600 or above|
|Graphics||Micromax DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver.|
Continue with the fixes below if your system meets all of the prerequisites.
Try Windows In Clean Boot Mode
Clean Boot Mode is one of the best solutions when your computer is created issues for you. Therefore installing windows 10 in Clean Boot Mode has also worked out for some users.
Follow the steps given below to activate Clean Boot Mode to install windows 10:
- Click Windows + R keys Simultaneously, type msconfig and press Enter.
- A new pop-up window will now appear on your screen. Go to the General tab on that page.
- Under the checked Selective startup and uncheck the Load startup items.
- Navigate to the Services tab now. Select Hide all Microsoft services and click Disable all.
- Open the Task Manager by right-clicking the Taskbar. From there, deactivate all of the unnecessary stuff.
After completing the process check if the windows could not complete installation error is resolved.
Fix Windows Installation issue Automatically
If none of the above-mentioned fixes solved the issue of windows installation, and you have no idea the reason behind it. Then this solution is for you; Advanced SystemCare will find out the cause behind this error and resolve it automatically.
Follow the steps below to get started with Advanced SystemCare:
- Get Advanced SystemCare, install it, and run it.
- Select MyWin10 from the Toolbox menu. After this, Advanced SystemCare will begin installing the built-in toolkit right away.
- Look for Security & Privacy in IObit MyWin10.
- Enable Windows Update and Updates from Multiple Sources under Security & Privacy.
As a result, Windows 10 will not encounter an installation failure error and will continue the installation with the help of Advanced SystemCare. (Read complete Review of ASC)