For users, when your PC slows down or freezes, you may not help to head to the task manager to check the program working condition on Windows 10. If you notice high disk usage in your Task Manager and the process behind it is SoftThinks, you might wonder what SoftThinks is and whether it is an essential process before trying to end the process.
In the Task Manager, a SoftThinks Agent Service is taxing Windows 10 100% disk usage, for instance. on Dell, which is similar to sedlauncher.exe high disk usage. In this blog, TechNinjaPro will answer what SoftThinks is and how you can resolve the high disk usage caused by SoftThinks Service Agent on your Windows PC.
What is SoftThinks Agent Service?
SoftThinks Agent Service is a backup tool of Dell Inc, which has been integrated into many Dell PCs and laptops. The primary feature of the service is to back up programs, current files, and systems when the Windows operating system is damaged. It has been said that this utility is very helpful in many previous Windows OS versions.
SoftThinks Agent Service can help you restore the OS if it is damaged for any reason. SoftThinks Agent Service is tied with Dell Backup and Recovery. This mini tool will provide more information about this service and an added method to back up materials. When a process starts to use disk resources, the system does not have enough resources to perform other operations hence starts to feel buggy and slow.
Some PC users have reported that due to SoftThinks Agent Service, the PC freezes for a few hours with 100% disk usage.
Can I Disable SoftThinks Agent Service from Windows 10?
Yes, you can disable SoftThinks Agent Service safely without affecting any of the important functionality of your Windows. It is not a crucial service for Windows 10, and, most of the time, it develops high resource usage problems resulting in freezing and battery draining issues.
SoftThinks Agent Service is not a PC service, and it is only designed for Dell users. So if there is no particular use of it, you can completely disable or even remove it from your computer.
This problem affects Dell-made laptops as the service is exclusive to the laptop maker. Dell includes this small backup utility with its devices.
However, Dell has released several updates to resolve the issue due to the problems. For safety, you would better make full use of the system recovery tool to help you protect system data after you disabled Dell SoftThinks Agent Service to fix Dell disk usage by SftService.exe.
SoftThinks Agent Service 100% High Disk CPU Usage
Why SoftThinks Agent Service take up so much CPU? The reason is that it backs up your data files on your PC.
Additionally, it has a set timer that allows the backup operation to start each time.
Sometimes, the disk usage can reach 100% in only 2 hours. On the other hand, SoftThinks will run as usual when you start Windows or enable it from sleep mode or hibernation. That is why SoftThinks Agent Service’s 100% high disk usage.
The storage drive resource usage can reach 100%, while the CPU usage can reach 80%. Once the disk resource usage reaches 100%, your computer will run slowly since there is not enough resource to execute other system operations.
How to Fix SoftThinks Agent Service Disk Usage on Windows 10?
1. Disable SoftThinks Agent ServiceAs high disk usage on Windows exclusively occurs on Dell PC, there are no special solutions to fix the PC issue to reduce the disk usage. Therefore, SoftThinks Agent Service is using up the disk; you may as well disable it from running from startup or every wakeup.
- Press the “Windows key + R” to activate the Run box and then input services.msc in the box. Click Ok to move on.
- In the Services window, scroll down to find SoftThinks Agent Service and right-tick to open its Properties.
- Under the General tab, set it as Disabled and stop it in service status under the Startup type.
- Tick Apply and OK to save changes.
2. Uninstall Recovery Utility and Dell BackupIf you want to prevent SoftThinks Agent Service from freezing and hogging 100% disk usage on Dell, you can uninstall the backup and recovery tool as the culprit. SoftThinks Agent Service is one of the utilities of Dell backup software. The SftService.exe process will also be terminated if you want to remove it.
- Open your Control Panel.
- Select “View By Category” and find Programs > Uninstall a program.
- In the Programs Window, aim at SoftThinks Agent Service and then right-tick on it to uninstall.
- Reboot Windows 10 to take effect if needed.
3. Turn off SoftThinks Agent ServiceSometimes, if some app on Dell PC keeps using this SftService.exe in the Task Manager, high disk usage will appear. In this situation, there is much need for you to provide a real-time scan for your PC using Advanced SystemCare. This utility will automatically turn off some services like SoftThinks to fix the disk usage error on Windows 10. Advanced SystemCare will use its tool performance monitor to check and disable the SoftThinks from working. (Read complete Review of Advanced SystemCare PRO)
- Download, install and run Advanced SystemCare.
- Once Advanced SystemCare is installed on your system, right tick its program icon at the right bottom of the Desktop to launch the performance monitor.
- Tick the arrow icon on the right side to improve the performance monitor in the performance monitor.
- Locate the disk tab and then click the speed-up icon.
- Now the chances are that SftService.exe stops working and using up disk on Windows. Once Backup and recovery software is removed, SoftThinks will be uninstalled from Windows 10. So, there would not be any SoftThinks 100% disk usage on Windows 10.