Here’s a detailed guide on how to use the Windows Server Backup for your Exchange Servers? You can also install AOMEI Backupper as an alternative to this feature.
What is Windows Server Backup?
WSB or Windows Server Backup is a feature that provides the user to create backups and utilize the recovery options for Windows Server environments.
If an administrator wants to perform the following functions, they can use Windows Server Backup to execute these procedures:
- Back up a full server.
- Back up the system state.
- Create backups for selected files, folders, or volumes (less than 2 terabytes).
- Block-level backups (incremental backups).
- Restore Windows to different hardware.
- Automatic usage of disk space.
- Recovery options (user-friendly).
- And more.
Backup of Windows Servers is a very vital part of Windows Server management daily. These backups help you to recover your lost data in cases of disastrous situations like ransomware, file deletion, or hardware failure. Data corruption is a very common scenario which several people go through daily.
To address this query, Microsoft included Windows Server Backup is a feature that can be installed in your Windows Server and help you protect your data.
Installation of Windows Server Backup
How to install Windows Server Backup? Well, the process of installation of Windows Server Backup is pretty straightforward. Here’s a complete step-by-step guide on how to install it.
- Launch ‘Add Roles and Features Wizard’ in your Server Manager.
- Go to the ‘Features’ section and select ‘Windows Backup Sever’. Click on Next.
- The ‘Confirm Installation Selections’ will pop up. Click on Install.
- Once the ‘Feature Installation’ is complete, click on Close.
- Your Windows Server Backup is now installed.
Using Windows Server Backup to back up Exchange – Step-By-Step
Follow the below-mentioned steps to perform backup Exchange via Windows Server Backup:
- Start your installed Windows Server Backup.
- Go to Local Backup and select it.
- Locate the Actions pane and click on Backup Once. The Backup Once Wizard will startup.
- Now navigate to the Backup Options page and select Different Options.
- Click on Next.
- Select Custom on the Select Backup Configuration
- Click on Next.
- Go to the Select Items for Backup page and click on Add Items. Remember to choose volumes instead of individual folders, this way you can perform application-level backups & restores.
- Click on OK.
- Now go to the Advanced Settings and click on the Exclusions tab. From there you can select the files or folders you want to exclude from the backup. Remember that OS components & apps cannot be excluded from the backup.
- Navigate to the VSS Settings tab and select VSS full backup.
- Click on OK and then Next.
- Go to Specify Destination Type page to select the location where your backup will be stored. Click on Next once done.
- The Confirmation page will pop up where you can review your backup settings. Once you are satisfied with everything, click on Backup.
- You can track the progress & status of your backup from the Backup Progress
- Click on Close to exit the Backup Page, your backup operation will keep on working in the background.
Verify your Backup Status
How to know whether your backup has worked or not? To verify this query:
- Open Event Viewer in your Windows Server Backup and check the Application event log. Your backup completion status will be logged in there.
- Your last backup status will also be displayed on the server on which you ran Windows Server Backup. It should say ‘Successful.’
Alternative to Windows Server Backup – The AOMEI Backupper
The solution of Windows Server Backup can be complex for some people who are not tech-savvy and are not well-read when it comes to technology. As an alternative to Windows Server Backup, the AOMEI Backupper provides simple solution software which you can download on your PC and perform backups & recovery processes via a few clicks.
AOMEI Backupper is specifically designed for Windows OS and works efficiently with both PC and Severs.
- PCs (Windows XP/Vista/7/8/8.1/10/11)
- Servers (Windows servers 2003, 2008, 2012, 2016, 2019, and more)
You can use their state of the art software to keep your OS and data safe while having the option to revive them in any unwanted disastrous situation. Some important features included in AOMEI Backupper include:
- Backup & Restore
- Remote Server Options
- Incremental Backups & Backups Scheduling
- Partition Restore & Encryption
- Cloning features for Migration of OS, Hard Drive Upgrades, and run successful Boot.
- Image Deployment & Create Bootable Media.
They offer a free version also which you can use and try out to check whether it is a good option for your needs and requirements.