Why Use a Pin to Mark your Location?
Google Maps is an innovator app and has the most detailed location maps. Despite access to all the latest satellites and servers, some locations have still not been saved on the Google Maps server. These locations can be marked by dropping a pin on Google Maps. A dropped pin takes you to the exact location you need to go to without typing in the names of locations. A pin is also ideal if you need to share a particular location with your friends and family and save them a lot of confusion.
Planning Trips With Google Maps
Once you know how to drop a pin in Google Maps, you can start using it to plan your journeys. If you need to make the most of Google Maps, use it to provide back to your local community using the local guides for Google Maps, which rewards you for photos, answers, and reviews you post about locations you visit. If you are worried about your family and friends, you can get them to share the location using Google Maps when they are in trouble.
How to label and save a dropped pin on Google Maps?
Perhaps your major reason for dropping a pin on Google Maps is to store it for later. If that is true, the steps listed below will help you. You can group your pinned locations into customized lists for easy access.
- Drop a pin on your Google Maps by following the guides mentioned above.,
- Tick to save the location.
- Choose any list on the page or add a new one to save the pinned location.
In addition to saving the pin, you can also add a label to it. Google Maps may use your tags across its services to provide personalized recommendations.
- On the same page, tick on Add a label.
- Enter your preferred name for the label and save it.
- You can also edit or remove the label.
How to share a dropped pin from Google Maps with your friends?
There are many ways to share the location pin with friends and family from your mobile phone or PC, and you can also copy the link or share it directly with your social media accounts or applications. Let’s look at the steps to drop a pin on Google Maps and share it.
- Follow the steps listed above to drop the pin on your device.
- Tick the Share button.
- You need to select your preferred method to send the link wherever you want.
- Once sent, the recipient could visit the location.
How to drop a pin on Google Maps for your business?
If you own a business or just moved to a new location that is not yet on Google Maps, you can also pin the location so more customers can reach you. Unfortunately, you will need a PC for this, as the option is not present on the mobile application. Follow the steps below to add your business location to Google Maps.
- Visit Google Maps on your PC.
- Drop a pin on your business address and tick on the map coordinates below the screen to see more choices.
- Select Add your business.
- It opens Google My Business. You need to fill in some information related to your business.
- Submit the form after completing it.
- Google may take 24-48 hours before your business location goes live.
That is everything you want to know about dropping pins on Google Maps. The Google Maps app has made it easier to pin your location for easy access.
What to do after dropping a pin on Google Maps
There are many things you can do after you have dropped a pin on Google Maps and you are happy with the pin location. Dropping pins on Google Maps is not just for dropping sake; you can also do many things with a pinned location on Maps with your mobile phone or PC. Let’s have a look at several things you can do after dropping a pin on Google Maps mentioned below.
- You can get directions to the place.
- You can save it for later use.
- You can share the pinned location with the people who need your location’s address.
- You can also add your business location.
- Add a missing place.
- You can locate nearby places.
Pins are the most suitable Google Maps features that allow businesses or users to save a location. You can easily drop a pin to save a location if it does not have an address. It also permits you to drop a pin in a place, save it to your profile, and share it with family and friends. Google Maps can offer public transportation routes and customize your journey depending on your travel method.
Your pins will assist you in navigating to these locations. Dropping a pin is helpful if the place you are searching for does not have an address. In this blog, TechNinjaPro will show how to drop a pin on Google Maps from your desktop or mobile.
Dropping a Pin in Google Maps from your Android phone
Here are the steps to drop a pin on Google Maps when using an Android mobile phone:
- Open Google Map.
- Either scroll around the map or look for an address until you find your required location.
- Long-press on the Google Map to drop a pin.
- The location will arise at the bottom of the screen.
- Click on the location to add a label to it, share, share it or get directions.
Dropping a Pin in Google Maps from iPhone
The procedure for dropping a pin on Google Maps from iPhone is the same as the procedure for Android. The steps to drop a pin from iPhone are mentioned below:
- Open the Google Map.
- Look for an address or scroll around the map to find the required location.
- Long-press the screen in the required location.
- The address will arise at the bottom of the screen.
- Click on the location to get direction, add labels, share it with friends, etc.
Dropping a Pin in Google Maps from Desktop
Most people do not realize that it is possible to drop a pin on Google Maps from the desktop. Here is the process to drop a pin on Google Maps:
- Go to the official Google Maps website.
- Find the address where you need to place the dropped pin and click on the exact spot.
- A pin icon will appear on the Google map, and you will see an information box arise at the bottom of the screen.
- If you click on the information popup, a new panel will appear on the left side of the screen, offering you some extra choices.
How to Make a Dropped Pin
Now, let’s look at what you can do once you dropped the pin and are happy with the location. The option may vary depending on the operating system.
Use a Dropped Pin for Directions
As TechNinjaPro said, Google Maps are the most valuable features that can provide directions. If you are not sure about the address of a specific location, then dropping a pin becomes an important part of the process. You can select to use the dropped pin as a start point or as an endpoint. There is no way to drop two pins and find the directions between them.
Instead, you will have to place to one pin, make coordinates, then drop a second pin to use as your destination.
Save a Pin Address
You can save the pin’s address to a list that is connected to your Google account. This allows you to access this pin on all your devices. By default, Google Maps offers three pre-made lists: want to go, favorites, and starred placed. You can also make group lists that are helpful for day trips and vacations.
Send a Desktop Pin to Your Phone
If you drop a location on Google Maps from desktop, you can share it with your Android or iPhone app, email it to the Gmail address connected to your Google account or share it via text message with the phone number linked with your Google account.
Share a Dropped Pin Location
Google Maps offers four ways to share a dropped pin with other users. On the desktop, You can either:
- Copy and paste the generated link to share it with friends
- Click on the required social media icon to share a pin with your network
- Post your link on Twitter by clicking on the Twitter icon
- Copy the HTML code to embed the map into a webpage.
Add a Label to a Dropped Pin
You can easily label your dropped pins with a custom phrase. The labels will sync across your Google account, and they will appear on all the Google Maps versions.
How to Remove Dropped Pins from your devices
To remove a dropped pin from Android and iOS, tap the X icon in the text box at the top of the page. If you need to delete a pin on the Desktop, click anywhere on the map or press the X icon on the information page at the bottom of the screen.