Are you looking for a simple way to block sites on Chrome so that you or other users cannot access them? Google Chrome is the leader of all internet browsers on the web. An estimated 3 billion internet users have Chrome as their primary internet browser. While using Chrome, you may have a site you need to block for any number of reasons.
There are some reasons you might need to block sites in Chrome. For example, you may need to block distractions like YouTube while working or restrict access to undesirable websites so your kids can securely surf the internet. Sometimes, to get maximum productivity, you have to block distracting websites or websites with inappropriate content to focus on your work. Or might need to protect a kid from seeing inappropriate content. Luckily, blocking sites on Chrome is simple. In this blog, TechNinjaPro will discuss the ways to block undesirable websites on Chrome in 2021.
Like most users, you access the internet via Google Chrome. But unlike most users, you need strict control over your internet browsing habits. That is where website blocking comes in handy.
Here are five ways to block websites:
Blocking a website on Chrome using Screen Time
The screen time settings of your Mac system allow you to monitor and control device usage. By changing the settings, you can restrict access to unwanted websites. The steps to block websites using Screen Time is mentioned below:
- In the Apple menu, open system preferences.
- Choose Screen Time and tick continues.
- In the sidebar, pick Content & Privacy and tick Turn On.
- In the web content section, select Restrict Adult Websites and tick Customize.
- In the Restricted section, tick the plus icon and add the website link.
- Click OK and restart the internet browser.
Blocking websites with a Chrome extension
There is a place and time for social media and other streaming websites you find entertaining. But when they start interfering with your work productivity, that is an issue. You can temporarily block them by installing a Chrome extension. The steps to block a website on Google Chrome for free is listed below:
- In the Chrome store, search for “website blocker.”
- Choose a free extension you like and tick Add to Chrome.
- Tick the extension in the top right of your internet browser and open its settings.
- Add unwanted websites to the blocklist and save the changes.
Blocking inappropriate websites using SafeSearch
The internet is not a child-friendly place. But you can make it safe by using the SafeSearch feature of Chrome, which helps restrict kids’ exposure to inappropriate sites. The steps to turn on SafeSearch filters in Google Chrome.
- Sign in to your Google account.
- Go to Google.com/preferences.
- Click the Enable SafeSearch box.
Make sure that SafeSearch helps to remove adult content, but it does not limit access to search engines and linked web pages.
Blocking websites on Chrome mobile
The built-in iOS tools can help you enhance your internet browsing experience even if you are using Google Chrome on your iPad or iPhone. The steps to block specific websites in Chrome mobile are listed below:
- Open settings and click Screen Time.
- In the Content & Privacy Restriction section, Click Content Restrictions.
- Choose Limit Adult Sites in the Web Content section.
- Add the website link you need to block in the add website box.
- Click Done to save the settings
Note that when you are using Screen Time, inappropriate content is blocked automatically.
Blocking websites in Chrome Enterprise
If you manage Google Chrome Enterprise for a company, you will need to follow a different process to block websites. The steps to block a website in Chrome enterprise is mentioned below:
- Open the Chrome .plist file.
- Enter the URLs you need to block.
- Deploy the changes for all Chrome Enterprise users.
- Restart the internet browser to apply the policy.
To block a URL in Chrome Enterprise:
You can change the URL to whichever website you need to block.
Blocking ads in Chrome using MacKeeper
Sometimes, it is not the sites themselves you need to block but rather the ads they run. So rather than blocking the complete websites, one by one, you can block inappropriate ads instead. The simplest way to block ads is to run a cleaning app like MacKeeper, which has a built-in ad-blocker for Mac. The steps to block ads using MacKeeper are mentioned below:
- Open MacKeeper
- Choose StopAd and click Open.
- Tick Install.
- In the browser tab that opens, tick Add to Chrome.
- In the dialog box, tick Add Extension.
Note: MacKeeper will keep all those irritating or inappropriate ads at bay when you browse in Google Chrome.
Frequently Asked Question
Whatever reasons you have for blocking sites in Chrome, you can do it quickly by following the steps mentioned above. If you are trying to block distractions, you might get a helpful boost in the process. Just make sure to carefully follow the steps mentioned above while blocking websites to avoid causing any technical issues on your Mac.