If you’re a CEO or just an employee of a certain company, you’ve definitely heard of such a thing as a corporate seal. If you don’t have any knowledge in the field of stamps and seals, this notion may cause a lot of questions.
What is a Corporate Seal?
Let’s start with finding out the definition of this term. Long story short, a corporate seal is a tool (a stamp / an embosser), which allows you to stamp contracts, agreements, and other types of documents to make them official.
2. Target audience
Basically, it can be used by any firm, because this tool emphasizes the company status, and is easy to use. However, it is mostly used by LLCs, LLPs, and corporations. Let’s briefly go over these forms of business organization:
- LLC (A limited liability company) is a business structure, the specificity of which is a different form of taxation. The owners of LLCs can pay taxes as a partnership or corporation. This kind of commercial organization is easy to maintain when it comes to legal issues.
- LLP (A limited liability partnership) is worth opening if you run your business with a partner. With LLP, you will only bear responsibility for the amount of money you invest and your guarantees.
- Registering a certain business as a corporation allows the owner to pay taxes as a regular individual, whereas the company itself is taxed as a commercial organization.
The thing is that some years ago, the presence of a corporate seal on documents was a necessity for LLCs, LLPs, and corporations. Luckily, this rule is no longer relevant, so nowadays, a corporate seal is not required for any form of commercial organization. Even though company seals have no legal value, some companies still use company seals to mark some contracts as “official” ones. A nice design of a stamp will attract clients, and your brand will seem more formal to them.
3. Physical parameters and components
A corporate seal size ranges from 1 5/8″ to 2″. Speaking of the shape, it can be a circle, an oval, a rectangle, or even a triangle. Since this tool is not legally valuable, you can go creative with these parameters. But if you want the seal to look formal, we recommend going with the round shape and smaller size, so that it doesn’t excel that much.
As a rule, a corporate seal contains the following things:
- Company name
- Location of the main office
- Year of the company foundation
- Your slogan
- An official website
If your seal has all of these components, it will bring more customers to your firm.
4. Ways of application
As mentioned above, a corporate seal can be a stamp or an embosser. Let’s study each type more thoroughly and examine their working principle.
- A corporate seal stamp requires an ink pad. It can be built-in if your stamp is self-inking or pre-inked, but if you’re using traditional corporate seal stamps, you’ll have to reload them manually. To leave an impression on paper, you just have to press the stamp to a paper, and let the imprint dry for a few seconds.
- A corporate seal embosser is a tool, which is customized using your seal template and consists of two plates and a handle. The embosser is easy to use as well. You should clutch the right or left bottom part of your document and press on a handle. An embossed corporate seal is less noticeable but more elegant and original.
How do I get a Corporate Seal?
The easiest part in this matter is finding a stamp manufacturer. You just have to give them your seal template, and they will do the rest. But when it comes to developing a stamp design for your corporate seal, the process gets more complicated. There are a lot of methods to create one, and it’s very important to find the most convenient one for you. Let’s study each way and point out its features.
1. Commissioning a designer
If you visit Fiverr, you will find hundreds of announcements, in which professional designers offer you to develop a custom seal design from scratch. In this case, the price varies, depending on the skill and level of a freelancer. However, this method is not perfect, because the outcome may not match your expectations. That is why it’s crucial to discuss every detail of your future stamp with the designer.
2. Using an online stamp maker
This method may be the easiest one. You will have to make a seal yourself, but most seal creators have a user-friendly interface, which allows you to edit each component without making an effort. According to reviews and articles that we scrolled through, the best stamp maker on the market is MyStampReady. It has a wide range of functions, and a huge gallery of corporate seal templates, which only need to be personalized. The website is optimized for mobile phone users, as well. MyStampReady offers the lowest prices for the layouts on the market, so you can afford a custom seal even if your company doesn’t make a lot of profit right now. The best thing about stamp creators is that they let you develop a stamp that you will consider perfect because you have full control over the process.
3. Making it yourself
The only way to get a stamp absolutely for free is to develop it on your own. You can make it using Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, or even Word. In this case, you have full freedom of creativity. However, this method requires some experience in the field of design and will take more time than the ways of creating a corporate seal above. If you flatly refuse to spend money on a seal design, this method may work for you, especially if you’re good at making logos and other graphic images.
How much does a Corporate Seal cost?
Let’s go over the seal design price issue. It’s worth mentioning that commissioning a professional designer will cost you not less than $10. Speaking of MyStampReady, the cheapest package in PNG format costs just $2.50, whereas the most expensive one is $5.50. It includes PNG, SVG, PDF, and DOCX versions of your seal.
Now let’s find out the price of corporate seal stamps and embossers. There are three main types of rubber stamps, and each one has a different price.
- The traditional (wooden) stamp is the cheapest one. Its main disadvantage is that it needs to be pressed to the ink pad whenever you want to leave an impression on paper, so it’s not the best tool to use for stamping dozens of pages. However, it’s possible to purchase a custom wooden stamp for less than $10.
- The self-inking stamps reload automatically, and all you have to do is change the ink pad when you see that your seal gets less bright. This type of stamp costs a little more, from $15, to be exact.
- The pre-inked stamps cost around $25, but they are of the highest quality. They can leave about 50000 bright and clear impressions before the ink pad gets used up because they contain oil-based ink. The pre-inked stamps make no noise during exploitation, as well.
As for corporate seal embossers, their price is slightly higher. It starts from $35 and can go up to $50 if you are purchasing the desk version, not the pocket one. The price is justified by the fact that you don’t have to spend money on the ink pads, and that an embosser is a tool that has high durability.
A corporate seal is a tool that has no legal value anymore but is still useful for absolutely every company. It can attract new clients, show the status of your company and even be a distinctive feature of your brand. When developing a seal design, you are given total artistic freedom, so nothing stops you from creating a masterpiece, that will perfectly fit into documents and embellish them. The price of a corporate seal is fully justified by the benefits, that your company will get after making this purchase.